Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have an opportunity to fish a private lake in upstate NY that harbors Lake Trout, my problem is I have no experience fishing the

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have an opportunity to fish a private lake in upstate NY that harbors Lake Trout, my problem is I have no experience fishing the

Have an opportunity to fish a private lake in upstate NY that harbors Lake Trout, my problem is I have no experience fishing these Trout. Going in early November, guessing water temps will be in the high 30's to mid 40 degree range. Water is gin clear with a depth of 90ft. I have no pre-conceived notions of what depth or type of lures/bait to start at, thanks for any help.

If you have a fish finder, scan the area and see if you can pick up any fish. My guess is they are going to be deep in crystal clear water. They are also going to be lethargic this time of year. Ask or see what the locals are using and what their success has been.
    If you find their depth, troll a creek chub or
    similar bait on a stringer with several flashers on it. I have fished Seneca and other lakes in the area and it is hard to connect with one if you don't know the magic combination.

Comment

They'll be on the bottom. Use a LARGE red and white daredevil spoon. Works very well. I say try to avoid the flashers as it really takes a lot of the fighting fun out of the fish ... and lakers are generally pretty whimpy fighters to start with. Get down there with a downrigger.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad