Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should I use for catfish that is cheap and can get at a local store? I know about hotdogs but all the other fish steal my b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I use for catfish that is cheap and can get at a local store? I know about hotdogs but all the other fish steal my b

What should I use for catfish that is cheap and can get at a local store? I know about hotdogs but all the other fish steal my bait.

You could get dough balls on your line

Comment

how much are they

Comment

Go to the grocery store and get some chicken livers It's cheap generally like $2 for a container. open it up and let it sit in the sun and get nasty. Either go to the store or ask your mom for some old pantyhose. Wrap a quarter size piece of liver in a little square of pantyhose and throw that on a treble hook and wait for the fun. We have got some big cats like this.

Comment

I second using chicken livers. However, I suggest getting a tub of them and fish. I have never seen the need to let them sour. Put them on a #4 treble and hold on.

Comment

Liver works well and I have found that the sinew or connective tissue off of beef or pork liver works just as good as the liver itself. Plus because the sinew is tough, it will stay on the hook much better than the soft flesh of the liver. If you can not get liver trimming, you can use the cheese cloth or old panty hose method to keep soft flesh of liver on the hook.

Comment

Liver does fish just fine right out of the tub but letting them sit and get funky toughens them up a little bit so they're not as mushy and adds that much more scent.

Comment

What you can use is the small fish eating your bait. Like perch. Chicken liver from your grocery store is cheap and works well. You might get some mesh to help keep the liver onor i use a half hitch knot. Make a loop in your line above your line and put your bait threw it. You will know if you did it right. For the perch you would want to cut into chunks. Good luck. Let me know if you need more ideas.

Comment

sorry about my last post that repeated everything everyone else wrote... om new here. any ways, cats mostly go by smell.so to leave any sort of raw meat out would do it some good as catfishbait. i would have it in a ziplock baggy and leave it out for abit. the bloodier the better. you can catch cats on fresh meat as well.

Comment

I have used multiple things while catfishing. Try out chicken liver, but, there are multiple ways to use liver. I personally have used it with panty hose, or sewing thread. you put the liver on your hook, and wrap the thread around. or take the panty hose and tie some liver in there. but I have also heard that if you take garlic salt, and put it on your liver, and leave it outside on a hot day, and let it dry, that it stays on your hook.

I also have used worms, now what I do, is I go buy dish soap. put some dishsoap on the ground, where you think or know nightcrawlers are, and then take a five gallon bucket of water, and pour it on the ground where your soap is. instantly almost, the crawlers will come up. as you grab them, have a bowl of fresh clean cold water, to put the ccrawlers in, u must do this, or they will die. after that, you take a bowl and put your compound, or whatever, dirt, newspaper, etc.

my neighbor also says that shrimp and garlic salt works very well. I have yet to try it, but I am waiting on winter to end so I can try this, I hope I helped,

Comment

another solution is to find a good cast net. shiners, minnows, shad, etc, work great as cutbait. or live bait, and you don't have to spend money everytime you use this method, although it is not promising you will have bait,its very wise,

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                        by PigHunter
                        I understand the reason someone would pick the heavier bullets. However, heavier bullets cause greater recoil and will affect recovery time and may result...
                        Today, 02:16 PM
                      • Cheaper Than Dirt
                        by jhjimbo
                        Lots of ammo back in stock, but the prices are right up there to....
                        Today, 12:21 PM
                      • Reply to 300 yard .22lr
                        by fitch270
                        I wouldn’t spend that much on a 10/22 but I might on a bolt gun. For that kind of money I expect some style to go with it, of the Cooper or Annie level....
                        Today, 01:40 PM
                      • 300 yard .22lr
                        by jhjimbo
                        Would you spend $900 for a Ruger 10/22 to shoot 300yds ? A little over 1" at 100 and a little 0ver 6" at 300yds. Lapua and SK ammo used....
                        Today, 11:28 AM
                      • Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                        by jhjimbo
                        I like the Remington Golden Saber Black Belt 147gr 9mm (not +P) and the 180gr in .40. Check out the statistics. Some LEO friends always suggest the heavy...
                        Today, 01:28 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X