Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you use live bluegill for bait or is there a law on it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you use live bluegill for bait or is there a law on it?

Can you use live bluegill for bait or is there a law on it?

I would check your local regulations. Every state and almost every body of water is different.

Comment

Against the law in MN

Comment

pretty sure against the law

Comment

We use them in Ark. for Cats(BIG), and striper(striped sea bass). But I'd check your state first, like everybody says.

Comment

Good question, I've always thought it was illegal in Mo but everybody does it. I better check myself before I get in trouble.

Comment

I don't know like Big O said we use them her in AR but I don't know that it is or isn't against the law. I'll ask next time I see a warden and post it here.

Comment

Ark. Fishing Guidebook (Rules/Regs)
                "no limit on bream shortier than 4"'s"(pg.9)
                "It is ILLEGAL to use game fish, or parts thereof, for bait or lures, except for 4" or smaller bream"(pg.26/10th section left side).
                Sorry CPT BRAD, I had one handy.
                Still, check your "home" waters before doing it!

Comment

I know here in TN you are allowed to use game fish as bait as long as they are within the length limit and you dont exceed your creel limit for the day, even though you are only using them as bait. Like everyone else said im sure it is different in every state so you might want to get a rules and regs book. good luck!

Comment

i use them in tn but you need to check your local laws

Comment

It is state regulated... check your state. It is legal in Georgia and we use them for stripers and they are HOT! A wiley old fishing guide taught me to use wire cutters to cut the dorsal fin off and it really makes a difference on the hook ups. It seems that stripers grab the fish, chomp it and then spit it out so they can swallow it head first. If you set the hook when they grab it, it comes out of their mouth about half the time. Without the dorsal fin, they tend to just swallow it on the first strike and you get more hook ups.

Comment

Agreed with buckhunter and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How do you fly ?
                          by PigHunter
                          Like most everyone else, I buy a scope to feel a need. Only a few times have I taken advantage of a sale.

The Leupold VX3i on my .308 is...
                          Today, 06:44 PM
                        • How do you fly ?
                          by jhjimbo
                          Do you buy a scope when it is on deep discount, then look for the perfect rifle to put it on ? Or, you have the rifle and it needs glass, justkeep looking...
                          Today, 04:18 PM
                        • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                          by PigHunter
                          Bubba, I've been curious too. This is our first and so far I like it during dry fire. We're going to see how it is at the range in a few days....
                          Today, 06:35 PM
                        • Handgun Laser Sights
                          by PigHunter
                          On 7/19, Milldawg mentioned he'd ordered a laser sight for his wife's Ruger LCP 380 and they were on sale at MidwayUSA. Well, that inspired me to order...
                          08-03-2020, 11:20 AM
                        • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                          by PigHunter
                          Good question. The old style Ruger LC9 has a very long trigger pull that's similar to that of a double action only revolver. I think it would be unlikely...
                          Today, 06:32 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X