Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it better to throw the same colors as their main forage or some thing abstract?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it better to throw the same colors as their main forage or some thing abstract?

Is it better to throw the same colors as their main forage or some thing abstract?

depends on what your after, but in general you want to match the food source they normally hit.

Some cases you need something flashier than normal or bright to get a reaction strike.

Spawning bass will often hit big gaudy lures out of reaction to defend not hunger.

best answer: BOTH. Experiment and see which ever one gets 'em hooked up!

Comment

Many more bass are caught just defending territory. They normally only NEED to feed about once every 48 hours, so catching them in a normal feeding cycle is at best just by chance. They WILL feed out of their normal cycle when given an extra easy desirable meal, such as the wounded minnow syndrome or the unexpected frog leaping off a lily pad. But in general, their aggressive nature to defend their territory from anything that invades it, is also their weak spot to being caught. So anything that looks like it might be a threat to them becomes a target. How visible the lure is often determines how far out of the fish's way it will travel to chase the intruder out of its territory. When I fished tournaments, I kept six rods pre-rigged with different lures at my feet so that I could quickly present different choices to the bass as I work an area.

Comment

I have an assortment of Rapalas, in many colors, sizes, swim types and different body types. Throw the kitchen sink at them if that doesn't work. They are picky sometimes, just like our wives and girlfriends. And I use them on the Great Lakes, inland lakes, ponds and rivers. So to answer your question, I would match the forage they are after, then change up strategy. I know that the one lake I fish for bass has no chartreuse yellow or blaze orange fish in it. But damn they work!

Comment

I try to match the hatch in clear water but the more stained it gets the more I use high contrast abstract baits. If you can get high contrast in the main colors of the native forage then you are probably going to catch some fish in the dirtier water.
          I will also usually go from smaller to larger as the water gets more stained.

Comment

same color as forage

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad