Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

yesterday I was kayak fishing with my uncle on a small pond. he was fishing a small jig for bluegill and crappie. something grab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yesterday I was kayak fishing with my uncle on a small pond. he was fishing a small jig for bluegill and crappie. something grab

yesterday I was kayak fishing with my uncle on a small pond. he was fishing a small jig for bluegill and crappie. something grabbed the jig and started swimming straight away from his kayak, and then started towing him. It then snapped 6 pound line clean off. what kind of fish behaves like this? the kinds of fish in this lake are, in most common to least common: largemouth bass, bluegill, crappie, redear sunfish, perch, green sunfish, northern pike and musky, catfish.

there are also a handful of grass carp.

Comment

Could have been any of the last four you mentioned.

Comment

You have the problem of the one that got away. The fact that it broke 6# line depends on how the drag was set on the reel, how old the line was, how much the line was frayed, the direction that the kayak was facing, and how big the fish was. So almost any of the smallest fish mentioned could break 6# mono under the right conditions.

Comment

Channel cats have finished spawning and looking for food. I've been catching a lot of cats while crappie fishing lately.

Comment

The catfish, musky and northern all do this to 6 pound like. The first usually breaks it by pulling more than 6 lbs and the latter two usually break it by cutting the line with their teeth; often producing very little pull before the line is sliced. Hard to say which it was though.

Comment

I think it was probably a catfish. thanks everybody.

Comment

From the description, it could have been a juvenile spotted termagant which frequent those kind of lakes. Once they reach maturity, they will seldom hit a jig.

Comment

I agree that there are a number of possibilities with the list of fish in the pond. However, it might even have been a non-fish - he might have hooked into a big snapping turtle - they can be powerful swimmers.
                  That being said, I had an experience similar to this when a large catfish hit a small lure I was casting. The catfish swam away from me with such power that had I been in a boat instead of standing on shore, I have no doubt I would have gone for a ride. As it was, it was a fairly lengthy tussel before I succeeded in landing it. The whole time the catfish continued to attempt to swim directly away from me.

Comment

what is a spotted termagant?

Comment

Sounds like a catfish to me.
                      -The Kid

Comment

It could have been anyone of those fish, but definetly a big fish, and probably not a bluegill or sunfish. Since it was a jig, it was most likely a pike or musky, however if it was a pike or musky it would have cut the line with its teeth before towing it (unless you were using braid). Theres also the possibility that the fish wrapped the line around a log under the water, causing the line to break.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad