Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I recently caught a nice rainbow (15") on a gold ribbed hares ear nymph. When I filleted the beauty I found the meat be pink in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I recently caught a nice rainbow (15") on a gold ribbed hares ear nymph. When I filleted the beauty I found the meat be pink in

I recently caught a nice rainbow (15") on a gold ribbed hares ear nymph. When I filleted the beauty I found the meat be pink in color rather than the white meat we find in most of the stocked trout we catch here in eastern Pa. We assume this meant the fish was either a native (doubtful) or had been in the water for quite some time. I was wondering how long a trout must be in the creek or river until the meat turns from white to pink? Thanks guys! Pa guys have to stick together Ant!

I fish alot of streams and creeks stocked by the wilf life program and a few years back the dumped a fall stocking of 8 inch trout onto the waters in hope of them geting bigger and spreading out over the next few years.over the next 2 years i was catching alot of these small trout , some posing as a headache.Then at the end of that 2 year mark those trout became keepers and the fillets had a pink tone to there meat.So my answer would have to be about 2 years.Also the pink comes from the trout eating natural bait and not the fish pellets hatchiers use so a trout eating well will help the meat change color faster.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad