Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the bass were hitting a lot of top water lures today. got quit a few on a popper. then, on my next cast, a fish nailed it and to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the bass were hitting a lot of top water lures today. got quit a few on a popper. then, on my next cast, a fish nailed it and to

the bass were hitting a lot of top water lures today. got quit a few on a popper. then, on my next cast, a fish nailed it and took it under. it was a 30 inch northern pike! as most of you know, I have been trying to catch one of these for a while. when I went to release it, it just floated, and didn't seem to have much life in it. so rather than having the buzzards and minnows eat it, I am having it mounted. just thought I would share this. thanks to all who answered my questions about pike fishing. also, this is my first northern. the one I caught last year was a chain pickerel, I think.

Pike and pickerel take longer to revive then a bass. Keep running water over their gills. Don't give us unless you did some damage to their gills or their insides with your fishing hook.

Comment

typo Don't give "up" not us.

Comment

I tried for about 15 minutes to revive the fish.

Comment

also, I waded out into the pond to get him to deeper water. I tried very hard to get him going again.

Comment

I once caught a 36"+ northern pike in Leech Lake, Minnesota that threw the hook as he was being netted.
            I was going to have my picture taken with him and then release him anyway. Sigh!

Comment

I catch lots of pike here in MI. Sometimes it takes ten minutes or so to revive them, depending on how long they fought. I hold them by the tail and gently move them forward and back trying to get water through their gills. If the gills were not moving then it was probably dead, but I've caught pike through the ice that stayed alive for over an hour just laying in the snow.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to We Don't NEED
                by Amflyer
                I actually put myself on the ignore list, but so far I haven't noticed....
                Today, 11:46 AM
              • We Don't NEED
                by jhjimbo
                We may want, but we do not NEED.
                We don't need a female President just to have a female President. We especially don't need a black female President...
                Yesterday, 07:33 AM
              • What Would Your World Be Like ?
                by jhjimbo
                Have you thought about what your world would be like if you could not legally own a firearm ??...
                Yesterday, 04:12 AM
              • Reply to What's going on in the cities?
                by jhjimbo
                Some reporters in L.A. that know Kamila Harris says she has over 100 cases open. Has prosecuted about 35....
                Today, 11:19 AM
              • What's going on in the cities?
                by labrador12
                If a white guy shot 12 children there would be hell to pay, and rightfully so. Chicago saw 101 shot this weekend, 14 fatally. Why is there no outrage?...
                06-22-2020, 10:00 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X