Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i have some bass filets the i thawed in the fridge and forgot about for about a week. i put them back in the freezer. they are i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i have some bass filets the i thawed in the fridge and forgot about for about a week. i put them back in the freezer. they are i

i have some bass filets the i thawed in the fridge and forgot about for about a week. i put them back in the freezer. they are in saltwater, do you guys think they are still good. i know carp will last 3 days in saltwater in the fridge

Hi...

I can't tell you for a fact whether or not they're still good to eat...but why take chances...??

If they were in my frige/freezer, I'd get rid of them post haste.

Comment

It wood be better to go without eating for a day than getta bacterial infection in yore gut!

Comment

I wouldn't risk it, but I guess if you really wanted to eat it you could cook it to oblivion.

Comment

Refreezing it and then cooking might take care of all the bacterial issues. But I'm betting the stuff would taste like mush anyway after being frozen twice and soaking in water that long. Blech!

Comment

I wouldn't take any chances, but hey, there yours to take!

Comment

Not even on a bet! Toss it!

Comment

Do Not learn this lesson the hard way! You will probably have some explosive stuff coming out of both ends at the same time! Not a pleasant experience.

Comment

Fact: Seafood starts a spoiling process as soon as it is removed from the water. That is the reason for commercial freezer boats. The degree of spoilage is determine by species, time, and temperature. Commercially, seafood is often flash frozen, thawed and re-flash frozen. The trick is in the flash freezing which is instant. Slow freezing in a home freezer after it has already been thawed can break down the texture of the flesh as OH suggested. But the real concern was what temperature the refrigerator kept the fish at during the thawed time period. Different places in a refrigerator will have different temperatures and how often the door is opened will also effect the temperatures. Most vegetables are best kept at 47 degrees F while most red meats are best kept around 41 degrees F. Thus most refrigerators are set somewhere in those two ranges, but most seafood needs around 36 degrees F or below to best keep. That is why I add ice to a pan of fish filets even in my fridge. Fish filets will definitely keep for several weeks if they are kept cold enough so if the filets were kept in an area of your fridge that was cold enough, they would be safe to eat, but after re-freezing, the quality of the fish would be in serious question.

Comment

Those bass filets were not great table fare to begin with. Toss them or risk tossing them after you eat them.

Comment

When in doubt... throw em out!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Rip -rbg
                        by Pmacc60
                        The public can focus on two different things at once ! Again liberal nonsense , put it out there and we can see what the president is planning for the...
                        Today, 08:43 PM
                      • Rip -rbg
                        by fitch270
                        2020 adding to it's bag of tricks....
                        09-18-2020, 09:26 PM
                      • Debate #1
                        by FirstBubba
                        Debate #1 is supposedly a go.
                        Not sure if Biden will get his "fact checker" or not. Probably not. If the fact checkers are honest, it...
                        Today, 08:42 PM
                      • Bows
                        by Danbo
                        Started practicing with my bow.
                        The deer don't stand a chance 😎
                        Today, 08:23 PM
                      • Reply to Trump
                        by Danbo
                        And the fruit cake speaks

Trump 2020
                        Today, 08:17 PM

Right Rail 3