Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im going to be getting a boat. Its gonna be used for mainly bowfishing and a little fishing. I was thinking something in the 16-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im going to be getting a boat. Its gonna be used for mainly bowfishing and a little fishing. I was thinking something in the 16-

Im going to be getting a boat. Its gonna be used for mainly bowfishing and a little fishing. I was thinking something in the 16-18 foot range with a motor and trailer. It'll be used on ponds up to large lakes. Any suggestions.

Observe what other fisherman are using. If you are going to be standing, that is one type of boat, commonly referred to as a bass boat. If you are going to be seated most of the time, that is a deep V type hull - better in rougher waves.
    There are also some designs that have the best of both worlds, like the Boston Whaler for one.
    If it is a used boat go for a test ride in it.
    Good luck.

Comment

john boat and by the way just don't go bowfishing anyway it's bad for native fish.

Comment

Thanks. Omar actually bowfishing is good for native gamefish cause Im only shooting carp.

Comment

well in that case have fun! reason I said that in the first place is that people say they are going to bowfish carp to save other fish whern in reality all they shoot are buffaloes,gars,bowfins and other native "roughfish". the worse fishing attrocities I've seen were commited by bowfisheremn so thats why I just don't like em. best of luck

Comment

A flat bottom jon boat should work just fine. Just remember you will be in the shallow a lot shooting so choose a motor which is easy to raise and lower.

Comment

Omar I really wish I could shoot other species but I'm in New York so it ain't gonna happen. Thanks buckhunter will definitely consider that!

Comment

It all depends on what kind of money you have to spend on a boat and how much you plan to use it. the boat I bowfish from the most is an old tri-hull that my friend fitted with aluminum plating where the hulls meet to make it tough. The boat sits high in the water so we can go back into places others can't and there is a raised platform on the front made from metal tubing with a 2x4 deck and railings. This is way more then you need but it is amazing. If the water is not choppy we can see fish way farther out then we can shoot and have to use the trolling motor to chase down fish. This is pretty much a tournament set up and will run from 2.5-10 grand depending on what you add to it and the boat you use. A tracker aluminum boat hull is also a great bow fishing boat hull to start from but more expensive yet tougher. the cheapest way to get a bowfishing boat up and running is to piece and part it together. find a good motor and hull then build from there adding as you go. A boat that floats is all you need to start but it gets way better the more you can add.

Comment

For what I consider a "pond", a 10' to 14' is sufficient with a trolling motor.
                  For bigger waters, nothing less than 16' and preferably 18' to 20'.
                  I use the old 1hp/ft rule. Works pretty good. Especially when considering jonboats (or Johnboats, whichever you prefer.)
                  Jonboats are the ultimate in stability and a workhorse.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm looking at a extra wide johnboat probally about 16 feet with a 10 horse motor and trolling motor. I then might add some extras. Your guys advice is great thanks!!!

Comment

My son-in-law has a 16 foot rivited Jon boat with a shooting platform rigged with halogen lights above and behind you when standing on it. The lights are powered by an almost silent Honda generator. Bowfishing at night with his set-up keeps me in gar and carp. I gave my grandson my old rig which was a vintage Quachita 14' x 4' aluminum Jon boat with under water lights which I had used mostly for floundering, but did shoot a bow from also.

Comment

Well thanks guys I looked around and found a great 18 foot extra wide John boat with a 50 horse Yamaha . It's used from 1999. It looks pretty nice probaly look into that more.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                          by jhjimbo
                          My Father and I built a 50'X50' pole barn to store his boat and a couple of friends boats over the winter. Just simple construction, we used 16 used...
                          Today, 04:18 PM
                        • 16 Years
                          by jhjimbo
                          So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                          08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                        • Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                          by Amflyer
                          Aaaaaaaand...there goes Derek.
                          Today, 04:04 PM
                        • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                          by derek7
                          Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
                          08-11-2020, 09:03 AM
                        • Reply to Trump
                          by 99explorer
                          Trump is so desperate to screw up the election that he is willing and able to damage the U.S. Postal Service by withholding necessary funding.
                          He
                          Today, 03:59 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X