Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

well I am back from chetek. the fishing was pretty good for two people who dont know the lake very well. tons of crappies, a few

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• well I am back from chetek. the fishing was pretty good for two people who dont know the lake very well. tons of crappies, a few

well I am back from chetek. the fishing was pretty good for two people who dont know the lake very well. tons of crappies, a few walleye, a few bass, some perch, bluegill, almost a northern, and a bowfin. the northern hit a big slug go type thing off the dock. he jumped and threw the hook, but he wasnt that big. the bowfin I caught while fishing for bass. threw a frog next to the bank and he nailed it. 22 and one half inch! that was this morning on the third to last cast of the trip. we have 100 fillets in the freezer, so we will eat good for a while. I will post pics soon. hows the fishing been for everyone else? biggest fish? what did you catch it on?

I've only been able to squeze in one fishing trip this summer and it was awful. I fished all day long and didn't catch nutin', but the worst part about it was that right when I was packing up and getting ready to leave my dad who happened to be with me and hadn't fished all day took my pole from me and on the third of fourth cast reeled in a large mouth. Don't think he didn't rub that in a little bit.

Comment

I phrased that to where it sounded like I was going to leave my dad. There was supposed to be a coma there.

Comment

I phrased that to where it sounded like I was going to leave my dad. There was supposed to be a coma there.

Comment

The biggest fish I have caught this year is a 3 foot walleye in lake Erie! A big step up from small bass and catfish that I usually catch.

Comment

Sounds like a great trip, congrats. I envy those crappie fillets. I have been trying to learn to catch carp on the fly rod lately and haven't had much luck, but plenty of good times. However, I am the eternal optimist and am confident that I will get my first hook-up tomorrow!

Comment

Since I practice a lot of catch and release when fishing for bass, I have learned to try to use mostly rough fish for meat when it is possible. For years I never thought that Bowfin, (we call them grinnell or shoe-pic) could not be eaten. Then I went to a Bowfin tournament where they had fried bowfin and it was pretty good. I learned the secret that as soon as you catch the Bowfin, you chop the back half of the fish off just behind the point where it expels excrement and throw just the tail in the cooler on ice. Then throw the front half of the fish back over board. The tail has a good amount of meat on it. The tail meat when handled properly and seasoned ends up not bad eating at all, but does not make it into my top twenty list of favorite fish for eating. As to the crappie, it rates in the top ten of my favorite fish that I like to eat.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Good morning everyone
                by DakotaMan
                You really have little need for a long, heavy-for-caliber bullet if all your shots are within that range PH. Another thing to think about is that bullets...
                Today, 05:39 PM
              • Good morning everyone
                by fitch270
                Looks like most of the regular crew is on right now, what's everyone's plan for the day? I'm packing up gear and headed on the hill to shoot some rifles...
                08-01-2020, 08:52 AM
              • Reply to How do you fly ?
                by crm3006
                I either buy the rifle and scope as a combination, with a specific pairing or purpose in mind, or, if I find a really good deal on a scope, buy it to...
                Today, 05:09 PM
              • How do you fly ?
                by jhjimbo
                Do you buy a scope when it is on deep discount, then look for the perfect rifle to put it on ? Or, you have the rifle and it needs glass, justkeep looking...
                Today, 04:18 PM
              • Reply to Bad news on the COVID-19 front
                by 99explorer
                CRM - You forgot to post the source of that great news item you are asking us to cut and paste and forward on.
                Today, 05:06 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X