Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a question about fishing line. I use fluorocarbon line on both my spinning and baitcasting reels. I use 8 lb for my spinn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a question about fishing line. I use fluorocarbon line on both my spinning and baitcasting reels. I use 8 lb for my spinn

I have a question about fishing line. I use fluorocarbon line on both my spinning and baitcasting reels. I use 8 lb for my spinning reel and 17 lb for my baitcaster. I was wondering if I should be using another type of line. I usually bass fish and also do some crappie and catfish fishing too. thank yall in advance.

The reason so many different line companies and so many different lines exist is that everyone has a personal choice which works for them. If the line you are using works for you, there is no reason to change. But if you are having problems with the line that you use, or just want to try something new, then by all means experiment with different lines. I use a lot of soft mono on my baitcasters and usually buy it on price. I find Stren, Trilene, and Sufix monos to cast well and not cost an arm and leg if it does have to be replaced from something like a professional over-run. The clear monos are also hard for fish to see in the water. Yet for some of my fishing I use braid. I also buy my braid on pricing so I am not nailed down to any particular brand, but I have yet not found one brand that I could not fish with even though I do like FireLine and PowerPro better than SpiderWire.

On spinning reels, I prefer to change line often to keep fresh untwisted line on them. I would rather have new mono than year old braid on them. I also keep extra pre-wound spools with both mono and braid in my tackle box for all the spinning reels that my wife and I do use just in case of need to change. For example, after catching around fifty specks off an oyster reef in Mobile Bay, the line needs to be changed in order to safely continue fishing.

Comment

I prefer braided line, less stretch and smaller diameter!

Comment

Santa has some good advice. I prefer to use 8 lbs floro on one reel, and then I have 20 lbs braid on the other one. Then if need be I will tie on a piece of heavy floro onto the braid just to have the clear line on the end.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad