Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm not a bass fisherman so I need a few tips. I found a small dam that's holding some big largemouth. Deepest part of the dam i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not a bass fisherman so I need a few tips. I found a small dam that's holding some big largemouth. Deepest part of the dam i

I'm not a bass fisherman so I need a few tips. I found a small dam that's holding some big largemouth. Deepest part of the dam is about 15' at the spillway. The weeds are crazy thick and almost reach the surface in about 80% of the dam. One half of the shore is woods and the other is catails. The catail side is only like 6" deep though. One very small area has a few old trees sticking up out of the water and that's where I've been focusing but I've only caught 2 and they're far from the biggest the water has to offer. What should I be throwing and where? Thanks in advance.

With the weeds, I might try a fluke. Work it just below the surface and try to get a reaction strike. That normally works for me in a situation like that.

Comment

Weedless worm with weight forward.

Comment

If it’s that weedy, I’d start with a Texas-rigged worm, or other soft plastics such as salamanders or crayfish. Try a variety of colors and patterns. You might need to use a fairly heavy sinker to punch through the weeds. In the deeper areas, you might want to try a jig with a weedguard.

Comment

I would try a weedless frog, just at daylight or dusk. Big bass usually cannot resist a tasty frog.

Comment

Run a shallow diving crankbait just over the weeds that will get the big boys excited. Try a top water plug style bait also, otherwise use the above methods.

Comment

All of the above but I would start with a weedless frog - try to land it near an opening in the surface plants and "hop" it into the opening.
              You can also try dappling a surface lure with a long pole (you just dabble it in openings) but be ready - this can get some smashing strikes.

Comment

From what you have described, a buzzbait might work all over. If not, try a top water frog. Another thing to try is to toss a small lipless crankbait and jerk it just over the weeds. It will get bass going. I would definitely try a top water bait around the submerged wood and cattails.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad