Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking at Cermele's blog made me wonder, what is the largest hook you would try to remove with the line and jerk method? I use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at Cermele's blog made me wonder, what is the largest hook you would try to remove with the line and jerk method? I use

Looking at Cermele's blog made me wonder, what is the largest hook you would try to remove with the line and jerk method? I used the "push it through and cut it off" the last time I got nailed by a #2 treble---it had a pretty substantial barb on it.

Maybe its because I don't get to fish nearly as much as Cermele, or maybe I've just been lucky, but I've never sank one past the barb, thank the Lord!

Comment

It all depends the type of hook and where it is stuck into. I had a cousin who pulled a hook through his toe when he went to cast once and by brother hooked me in the shoulder once casting from a boat. both where in really deep and pushing them all the way through was less damaging the trying to yank them out. So i pushed the hook through my cousins toe nail and my brother pushed it back through my shoulder. The final time was when I was stripper fishing and lipped a 37 pounder with a jig still in it's mouth. The fish thrashed and sent one of the treble hooks into my hand. I used the line trick to pull out the #4 treble from my hand.

Comment

I have no idea. I went to lip a large bass for my brother and kneeled on a crank bait sending two hooks on the treble into my shin. The guy we were with knew what to do and took the second treble hook of and put his shoe lace around it and gave it a yank with success and surprisingly little to no pain.

Comment

Country, I keep a bottle of Anbesol in my tackle box. A few drops rubbed in the skin around where the hook is will be deadened. Then if it is a large hook with a big barb, I use the push it through and cut method, but small hooks with small barbs will pull back out without too much pain or tearing. Then always wash and disinfect the wound.

Comment

I'm usually successful just gently backing hooks out by pushing the hook away from the barb as I back them out. Occasionally, I have to push them through and cut the barb if tendons are catching on the barb and I just can't back it out.

With all the fishing I've done, I've had dozens of accidental hookings. I've only had one in my lifetime where I had to go to the doctor. On that one my dog got caught on a trot line hook and when she jumped from the pain, she fell over a 10 foot bank. She pulled the next hook into my finger and hung about five feet off the ground from my finger. That one was really buried along the finger bone and up under my finger nail.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
              by PigHunter
              I know how you feel. There's no way I'b bet my life on a conceal carry without ever firing it. Just this morning, PigHuntress told me she'd been practicing...
              Today, 06:27 PM
            • Handgun Laser Sights
              by PigHunter
              On 7/19, Milldawg mentioned he'd ordered a laser sight for his wife's Ruger LCP 380 and they were on sale at MidwayUSA. Well, that inspired me to order...
              08-03-2020, 11:20 AM
            • Reply to Do You Like To Fish In The Rain ?
              by Solitario Lupo
              Jimbo I dont really go for eyes on Erie but that is impressive almost 80 degrees on top and in that depths wonder how cold it gets in that thermocline....
              Today, 06:16 PM
            • Do You Like To Fish In The Rain ?
              by jhjimbo
              We are getting a nice slow soaker of a rain for most of Sat afternoon. Reminds me when we fished from my Fathers cruiser. It was called an express cruiser...
              08-01-2020, 05:28 PM
            • Reply to The George Floyd case.
              by 99explorer
              I do feel sorry for those rookie cops on the scene who had their backs to the brutality being committed by their senior officer.
              Today, 06:00 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X