Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm just wondering can you eat rock bass and do any of you eat rockbass. I heard they have worms in them if its true its to bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm just wondering can you eat rock bass and do any of you eat rockbass. I heard they have worms in them if its true its to bad

I'm just wondering can you eat rock bass and do any of you eat rockbass. I heard they have worms in them if its true its to bad cause i catch a ton of them in the 8-12 inch range.

Bass, rock bass, sunfish, trout and really all freshwater fish get parasites. ( salt water fish do too.). Yellow grub the kind of worm (cyst) you're probably referring to. They are supposed to be harmless to people even if you're eating raw fish. I cut them out of panfish when cleaning. If there are too many, I don't eat the fish. (Too much "ick" factor for me.). I've only seen that in two out of many hundreds of pan fish. You only find a yellow grub cyst once in a great while at least in the lakes and streams I fish. Go ahead and enjoy your rock bass like any other panfish.

Comment

When my brothers and I were kids we caught plenty of rock bass from a large Pennsylvania stream. My Dad cooked them up inside the big screen tent on the three bruner green Coleman stove. The rock bass were awesome. Be careful of the fish bones.
      Bon Appetit!

Comment

Grease hot enough to fry fish will neutralize any parasitic grub or larva in the fillet.

Comment

TOO Small to mess with...Find you a RED LOBSTER down the road. Now that's MY way to Fillet and Release..Lol

Comment

Thanks guys I"ll be enjoying some rock bass soon!;-)

Comment

Fry 'em up! The worms are the best part!

Comment

Typically the ones I caught never yeilded enough flesh to make it worth it, but go for it!

Comment

I love rock bass! YUM!

Comment

Yes, they're fantastic here in TN. I catch them in small streams every spring in that larger size range, sometimes over a foot long. Love them scaled and fried whole 'bone in'. To me, they have a better flavor than bluegill, and about as good as crappie. Our streams are crystal clear and loaded with crayfish- probably accounting for their meat having such a sweet flavor. Can't speak for the rest of the nation, but here in middle TN, we call them black perch and they are a very prized food fish.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad