Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sometime at the beginning of July I will be going to a friends on Galveston Island and I was told I could go fishing. Whats good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometime at the beginning of July I will be going to a friends on Galveston Island and I was told I could go fishing. Whats good

Sometime at the beginning of July I will be going to a friends on Galveston Island and I was told I could go fishing. Whats good fishing there? What tackle will I need? Will my bass rod and lures and my catfish rod with 20lb line work?

Your bass gear will only be overwhelmed on occasion and will work well for flounder, reds, specks, etc.
    Bay boats provide gear and usually target specks with good result.
    Offshore boats that hit the offshore platforms produce a larger and wider variety of fish. I think the offshore boats provide gear also.
    Good luck!
    Have fun!
    God Bless!

Comment

Your bass rod should work fine for wading and pier fishing, or even in either of the bays. I would suggest you tie on a wire leader, as most saltwater species have teeth. A caution on using your freshwater gear- be sure to rinse everything you expose to salt water very well, as reels, lures, knives, pliers, etc. will rust and corrode overnight. After you finish your trip, a through strip and clean is good insurance for your reels.
      Good luck-
      crm

Comment

I will be fishing from the shore so what will be the best lure and bait for the various common species of fish?

Comment

Most of the guys that fish artificials fish plastics with jig heads. Sometimes, gold spoons are good for specks, and sometimes a loud, rattling top-water produces. For flounder, reds, and specks, live shrimp and mud minnows, finger mullet, or fresh cut bait produce. Check in with your local bait shop when you buy bait. I would give the Texas City Dike a try if I were as close as Galveston.
          Good Luck!
          crm

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad