Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know this sounds dumb, but if big enough are zebra mussels edible? I know they are very invasive and a big problem. I know it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know this sounds dumb, but if big enough are zebra mussels edible? I know they are very invasive and a big problem. I know it

I know this sounds dumb, but if big enough are zebra mussels edible? I know they are very invasive and a big problem. I know it wouldn't make a dent, but it would give people a reason to collect them. Are there any other invasives that are edible.

Its NOT recommend they be eaten by Humans, Some Ducks and Fish do eat them.

Comment

Dont know about humans? I have found blue catfish and blubill ducks full of them.

Comment

Old Saying "Hunger is the Best Sauce". Old story. Fifty five years ago I was Flounder fishing with my Dad. He mused that the Squid we were using for bait was such a nice piece of firm white meat. He wondered why no one figured out how to prepare it. Not if you bought me a Schwinn was my first thought. Little did that little boy realize that he would marry a Neapolitan girl who made it for Christmas Eve; and it would be a bar food right behind Hamburger. Never say never.

Comment

Treestand
          I probably wouldn't eat them if you told me they tasted great. I was just wondering if there was a use for all these invasives.

Comment

Anyone ever used them for bait?

Comment

Green Crabs are and invasive species and they are edible.

Comment

They are edible, but because they accumulate pollutants and toxins,they are considered unsafe to eat. Crayfish and smallmouth bass serve as a natural but not very effective control on their populations in this country.

Comment

Whitetail deer. They are displacing our native mule deer, though some would say that they taste better than our mulies.

Comment

Many fresh water mussels are toxic so, like mushrooms, never try sampling if you don't know what you're doing.

Comment

You shouldn't eat them, since filter feeders can get pollutants in their tissues, but since they are mussels they do have tiny pearls, which can be sold for a profit, which is a reason for collecting them

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad