Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anybody have any recommendations on a few good lures for some shallower farm ponds for bass not to pricey please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody have any recommendations on a few good lures for some shallower farm ponds for bass not to pricey please

Does anybody have any recommendations on a few good lures for some shallower farm ponds for bass not to pricey please

Any topwater that looks like a small fish or frog that you can twitch around and make some disturbance with. They're especially effective at dusk and dawn. No need to go with the high-priced top brands, either; I catch plenty of bass and big crappie on Walmart store-brand (Renegade) lures. If you do get some extra money and want to spend it on lures, though, you can't go wrong with the Floating Rapala, Jitterbug, Pop-R, and Hula Popper.

Comment

Right now they seem to be biting pretty well for me on black trick worms. I Texas rig them with 1/8 of an ounce bullet weight and a 2/0 wide gap hook.

Comment

Popper on 4 or 6 lb test. When I was a kid, a friend of my old man had a farm pond full of bass and sunnies. The ate the bugs that swarmed around the cows and got too close to the water. The fish got big and fat, That was the best part of summer when I was a kid. Go about dusk, when the bugs are real thick.

As it was a farm pond and didn’t see much action, practically any cast over weeds was good. If you need more weight to cast, stick a bobber about a foot above the popper. Make sure you either use line no larger then 6 lb test, or use a leader of fluorocarbon. Sunnies and farm pond bass are line shy. They may be inexperienced but not stupid.

Comment

I have been having good luck on smallmouth bass with a large Colorado style spinner with purple & white on one side and copper on the other. Rig this with some purple beads ahead of a 4 inch purple worm. As noted above - use as light of a fishing line as you can as the bass may be spooked easily.

Comment

I've found largemouth to be pretty consistent on small crank baits such as the Strike King bitsy pond minnow and Berkley flicker shad. Those two have been the two lures I brought to the same pond over again and not once have I left having not at least landed one fish. I suggest dull colors such as shad or even a crawfish pattern ,considering the fish aren't highly pressured you don't need to present something they have never seen before. Along with the small cranks I listed above practically any one will do as long as they swim correctly.

Comment

All the above are great options, but some have been missed. 1/8th oz. jigs with small trailers are excellent. Black and purple worms without weight are a great choice cast and let slowly sink and give a twitch here and there generally a slow retrieve. I really like woolyhogtails (Yum brand) without weight fished like the worms above. For panfish in small ponds a fly rod or even a cane pole with a bead head prince nymph is absolutely golden!

Comment

If you have a place that sells Kelley's bass stopper worms or the old touchdown worms work great. I also had good luck last night with a strike king pond master last night.

Comment

A Rapala ShadRap will be hard to beat unless it so shallow that you need a regular Rapala.

Comment

Some good topwater lures out. Frog patterns are good. Also some nice shallow divers are out now and days. Look to see how deep they dive before you buy them.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad