Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For an end-of-the-year class project, I am going to learn some new fishing knots. Any need to know knots? I currently use the tr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For an end-of-the-year class project, I am going to learn some new fishing knots. Any need to know knots? I currently use the tr

For an end-of-the-year class project, I am going to learn some new fishing knots. Any need to know knots? I currently use the trilene knot for braided and mono, but I know there is a better knot for braided line. Thanks for the input!

Fishermans loop is the best for tying on hooks and lures.
    Blood Knot is good for tying two lines together

Comment

I like the Palomar knot for both braided and mono. (But sometimes use an improved clinch on mono). I use a Harvey knot for flies.

Comment

The rapala knot for tying on rapalas and Yozuri lures. I usually remove the split ring and tie a rapala knot to give better action when trolling.

Comment

Most popular is Improved Clinch. Other handy knots are the Trilene Knot, and for braided line the Berkley Braid. A Surgeons Knot is handy for tying two lines together. Note, moisten and pull slowly to close knots.

Comment

Blood Knot!

Comment

Palomar is the most important followed by the Berkley and nail knot. I alway cap my palomar with a surgeons knot just to be sure.

Comment

There are several names for the same types of knots. Some "must knows" are the clinch knot, the improved clinch knot, and the palomar. As others have mentioned, the blood knot is pretty important for tying 2 lines together. I also like to use the perfection loop for leaders. You can find just about every kind of fishing knot you need to know here: netknots.com/fishing_knots/

Comment

My favorite is a Palomar for most uses including some of the really slippery lines - never had one fail yet. Like Allegmtn, I use a Harvey knot for flies. I prefer a surgeons knot to join two lines together - especially under field conditions.

A really good reference for fishing knots is Lefty Kreh's "Fishing Knots Proven to Work for Light Tackle and Fly Fishing" by Stackpole Books - lots of good advice and where/when/how to use the different knots. Lefty makes a great observation in that a knots typically break when they slip so making sure your knot is pulled tight.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad