Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does anyone use Abu Garcia reels? if so are they worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does anyone use Abu Garcia reels? if so are they worth it?

does anyone use Abu Garcia reels? if so are they worth it?

I have a REVO SX and yes it is worth the money. As for the cheaper versions at Walmart save your money for a good one. It's the same with every company, you buy high end you get something that will last you a long time if you buy budget you will get a product that will do it's job, but will not last as long as the higher end products made by the same company. Think Lincoln vs Taurus.

Comment

I've got three Abu-Garcia reels.
      A 5000, 5000C and a 6000C. They range in age from 35+ years to near 45 years old. All are all very solid reels. I haven't caught anything off Kodiak, Alaska that I wouldn't tackle with one of them
      The 5000 would be a bit light for the 120# halibut, but would eventually have landed him.
      Best part about the older Abu-Garcia reels is they can be so easily torn down, cleaned and rebuilt. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an older one for parts or to rebuild.

Comment

They make the Cardinal, which has gained an awesome reputation and is relatively inexpensive.

Comment

Agree with FirstBubba, these reels have survived a century and are still the mainstay of my bait casters.

Comment

I have a abu garcia ambassador and I like it. good for throwing the heavier lures that my spinning rods cant handle.

Comment

I have the Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 5600AL freshwater bait casting reel that i have had for maybe 30 years. Never had a problem with it.

Comment

I have Ambassador 5000s from the 1970s. Don't know how many times they have been re-furbished. Also 6000s, a 7000 and a 9000. Wouldn't take for any of them. Along with the older model Penns, probably the most reliable reels on the market.

Comment

I came across an older Ambassador in my dad's shop the other day. It makes a clicking while being cranked? Restoration ideas? Parts?

Comment

I have several and all are great reels from the cheap little Cardinal to the 6000Cs that I use for striper fishing. I use a lot of them and the Penns. They have served me well.

Comment

Matthew Matzek-
                      Look on the side for the silver button. Change positions with this button, and the clicking should stop. (Left side of the reel, opposite the crank handle.)

Comment

my entire family has an assortment of Abu Garcia reels, and they are some of the greatest reels on the market, and definitely worth the money.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad