Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello, I have a stocked pond at a family members ranch in Somis California, it about 70 yards by 50 yards with two docks. Vegeta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, I have a stocked pond at a family members ranch in Somis California, it about 70 yards by 50 yards with two docks. Vegeta

Hello, I have a stocked pond at a family members ranch in Somis California, it about 70 yards by 50 yards with two docks. Vegetation grows I'm concentrated areas, with a large population of carp and koi, however we stocked about 2000 6 inch bass that are now about 10 to 11 inches now we just stocked thousands of baby koi so I would believe that a similar color to the koi would work best. However it used to be so easy to fish but recently I've been struggling tryin to find a very productive rig or lure. Any suggestions?

I have never heard of stocking koi with predator fish. Koi fish around here start at $20 each and can easily go up to $400 each for larger ones.

Comment

I know someone who stocked a farm pond with koi fish after the pond had already been stocked by the previous owner with largemouth bass and golden shiners.
      I don't know why, but after several years, the pond no longer has any bass. Just koi fish, swimming in schools near the surface along the shoreline. Sad story.

Comment

Thanks, ya we have huge koi up to 4 ft they were placed in there by a whole sale koi sales men that needs more space for them, so they have been in there ever since I can remember. One time we had a great population of bluegill then introduce bass and they ate all the bluegill, then they had no prey to feed on so they went into decline. Now they are up in numbers and there are plenty of 1 to 1 and1/2 lbers there. I just need to find a productive lure that is productive. I've found topwater to be a very productive if the weather premits. Any help would be great

Comment

A friend has Koi in a decorative pond and he has to keep a screen over it so the Great Blue Heron do not come and fish it out as they have done in the past.

Comment

try gold colored swimbaits, spinnerbaits, and crankbaits in something like a perch pattern. another thing that might work is a pink curly tailed worm rigged weightless and and fished slowly around structure.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad