Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am just wondering how many of you bowfish. What do you bowfish for. What set-up do you use, ect. I'd really like to start bowf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am just wondering how many of you bowfish. What do you bowfish for. What set-up do you use, ect. I'd really like to start bowf

I am just wondering how many of you bowfish. What do you bowfish for. What set-up do you use, ect. I'd really like to start bowfishing soon.

I have a 45 lb Bear recurve I picked up for $30 and outfitted with a Muzzy bow hunting kit. I've seen people rig up bows with homemade setups but the Muzzy kit gives you a rest designed for fiberglass fish arrows and a no nonsense, solid bracket to attach the heavy duty reel. I hunt carp at in the local resevoir, river, and smaller streams. It's good practice for the off season although the point of aim is different (you aim low to compensate for the light refraction through water).

Take a friend with a gaff especially if you're hunting from a boat. Pick a sunny day, get a pair of polarized glasses, and have fun!

Comment

I bow fish carp out of the river. Michigan rivers are really clear so on a sunny day when the sun is directly overhead you can see them swimming on the bottom. Since they are an invasive species to the Michigan Lakes watershed I typically kill them and use them as fertilizer for the garden.

Comment

Thanks guys.I am currently using an old 30 pound draw recurve shooting heavy carbon arrows. I used an old spining real as the retriever. Any thoughts on the set-up.

Comment

Does anybody know if you can bow fish the Asian carp ?

Comment

jhjimbo I've seen once on tv they were bowfishing for them. They were pretty much just letting the arrow fly hopeing a fish would get hit.

Comment

I have wanted to start bowfishing too but dont have the supplies

Comment

I have wanted to start bowfishing too but dont have the supplies

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad