Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bey folks. Ive got rookie questions. Fishing like i did with my grandpa has changed alot. can anyone give me simple instructions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bey folks. Ive got rookie questions. Fishing like i did with my grandpa has changed alot. can anyone give me simple instructions

Bey folks. Ive got rookie questions. Fishing like i did with my grandpa has changed alot. can anyone give me simple instructions on how to tie a carolina rig and a texas rig? A simple diaram would help alot. Takin my son on his first dad and son fishing trip and i want to impress him like my grandpa impressed me thhat experience hooked me on fishing for life. Answer hers or email me at [email protected] Thank Yall

for a Texas rig you will need a offset worm hook. put the point through a curly tailed worms nose, and the slide it up to the hook eye. next pull the worm semi tight, and put the point in the worms belly so it comes out its back and sets right up on the back. you don't want any kinks or bends in the worm.
    for a Carolina rig slip on a bullet sinker so that the nose is pointing forward. next tie on a swivel, and then a 6-12 inch mono leader. then tie on a Texas rigged worm. that's your Carolina rig.

catch a big one!

Comment

Google "Carolina Rig" and you will see lots of pictures and instructions. The Texas Rig is virtually the same thing except it doesn't have a leader, the bullet sinker slides all the way down to the plastic worm. Both rigs are effective for bass. Tieing a good knot is important too. If you don't know how to tie a good monofiliament knot, google that too. Techniques vary with conditions but my favorite overall technique is to cast the rig and let it sink to the bottom. When the last ripple has disappeared from the surface of the water, slowly turn your reel crank about three turns. Wait 10 seconds and turn it again. Continue this until it is time for another cast. The best casts, start out just off the shoreline rushes or brushy cover on the bank and slowly slide out to deeper water. If you feel a slight tug, cross the bass' eyes with a big jerk of the rod. It takes quite a pull to force the hook all the way through the body of the plastic worm and into the fish's jaw. Best of luck to you both.

Comment

Thank yall fellas. Ill take all the advice i can get. I just never have used artificial bait except for the occasional rooster tail. I know live bait and ive alwayd fished it the same way i was taught but i want to teach him all i can even if it means i got to have some new tricks. Hes the oldest of 5 so we dont get much time one on one time. If you have any other tips id be glad to hear them.

Comment

Nothing wrong with live bait either, especially fishing with youth. I probably have $500 in plugs and plastic, but when I'm with my kids i usually bring live bait. Much easier for them to watch a bobber than to work a jig. My son is now 10 and is starting to use more plugs and jigs but we live on a 20 acre lake and fish about 2 or 3 times a week so he has lots of experience. My daughter is 9 and doesn't fish as much so she still sticks exclusively to live bait.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Another New Upper
            by jhjimbo
            What kind of powder was your friend using and didn't he ever clean it ?...
            Today, 01:16 PM
          • Another New Upper
            by DakotaMan
            Milldawg inspired me so I finished my new 6mm AR upper as a Covid time killer project. I had made a 6mm Creedmoor with an 8 twist Bartlein barrel for...
            Today, 12:54 PM
          • Reply to Another New Upper
            by FirstBubba
            Smooth lookin' AR D'Man!
            Let us know how it shoots. 😃!
            Today, 01:12 PM
          • Reply to 16 Years
            by jhjimbo
            I have the mad canadian blocked, all I know is he should get an apt. with a Psychiatrist.
            He should get a life, shooting geese and pheasant do not...
            Today, 01:11 PM
          • 16 Years
            by jhjimbo
            So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
            Yesterday, 09:20 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X