Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My friends and I were fishing off of a dock for largemouth and crappie today, and we saw a huge spotted gar. We tossed all that

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My friends and I were fishing off of a dock for largemouth and crappie today, and we saw a huge spotted gar. We tossed all that

My friends and I were fishing off of a dock for largemouth and crappie today, and we saw a huge spotted gar. We tossed all that we had at it (which included spinners, crainkbaits, and plastic worms) but it wasn't interested. Any suggestions on how to catch it if it shows up again?

If you saw the gar, the gar saw you. Next time, try to maintain complete silence when approaching the area.

Comment

I've found one thing that a big gar just can't resist: a small sand toad. If you can find one, toss it out with a sharp hook in the lip. I've done that and shot gar with a .22 as they came after the toad to thin them out and keep them away from my northern baits. I've shot several around one toad and they just keep coming even though the bullets are flying. It helps to stay still with giant gar though because as 99 said, you may spook them. A single one might not be as careless as a bunch of them in a feeding frenzy.

Comment

Get a 10" long piece of 3/8 nylon rope and untwist and fray it real good, then tie it to your line and drag it across the top of the water right in front of his snout. I will likely draw an aggression strike and his teeth will tangle in the frayed nylon---You're on!

Comment

The only lure that I have had a gar bite was a rooster tail. Other than that, I have only foul hooked them.

Comment

I've caught several gar on different types of cut bait, but as far as artificial baits go, it's pretty tough. The only thing I've been able to get them to strike on has always been topwater. If you drag it right across their nose you'll get a strike about half the time, but you'll get an actual hookup much less than that because their mouths are very hard.

Comment

Thanks guys! Going fishing again this weekend, hope he shows up, cause I'll be ready!

Comment

Wait till night shine a light on the water, and shoot it with just about anything, slingshot whatever...

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                  by Ontario Honker Hunter
                  I see an interesting piece up on CBC this morning that says Kamala would be a perfect fit for the Conservative party if she was running for office up...
                  Today, 11:19 AM
                • 16 Years
                  by jhjimbo
                  So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                  Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                • Reply to More Bad News....
                  by bowhunter75richard
                  WAM, I am very sorry to hear about Scout. I know words at times such as this are of little help, but know they are filled with much feeling of sorrow...
                  Today, 11:12 AM
                • More Bad News....
                  by WA Mtnhunter
                  My 13+ year old Black Lab is still plugging along. Not sure how much or if he will hunt this fall. The real bad news is that my 8-year old Lab, Scout,...
                  07-19-2020, 12:00 PM
                • Reply to 16 Years
                  by rock rat
                  Jimbo this morning I heard a woman interviewed on the radio, she was the state coordinator with the Kamala for President group during the primaries. All...
                  Today, 10:59 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X