Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do any of the new type bug repellent devices really work ? Electric or other ? Something for a couple people fishing from shore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do any of the new type bug repellent devices really work ? Electric or other ? Something for a couple people fishing from shore

Do any of the new type bug repellent devices really work ? Electric or other ? Something for a couple people fishing from shore or sitting out on deck at camp.

The Thermacell I have works like a charm. It has saved more than a few archery hunts. I don't use it while fishing as it says the repellent is very toxic to aquatic life.
    Downsides are it is really noisy to start and you're not supposed to carry it lit in the sheath so you can't start it and walk in to your stand. But it definitely keeps the bugs away. It keeps the porch at my buddy's cabin clear.

Comment

Thermacell does everything it is advertised to do, but as chuckles said, you have to be still for it to work.

You shouldn't use it in an enclosed area, either.

Comment

Agree w/above. Thermacells do work...

Comment

I'll also jump in on the Thermacell bandwagon! Remember though they do not work well in windy conditions. I actually got mine out Saturday night for a cookout and campfire without a single mosquito bite for all of us!

Comment

Do not buy a single Thermacell! BUY 2 and make sure you get extra fuel cells and scent pads. I've had buddies crowd me when the flying teeth arrive, hence the second one. Like Dcast said they do not work well in windy conditions and usually when its that windy those little buggers cant hover anyways.

Comment

The only repellent that had ever worked for me and truly works is a small fire right next to me while I'm fishing and they don't seem to bite for one reason or another but I start one hot or cold out to keep the bugs away

Comment

ThermaCell definitely works. I don't go turkey hunting or fishing without mine.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad