Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm looking to rig up a system to hang some rod and reels from the interior roof of my SUV. I drive a 2013 Jeep Patriot. I have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking to rig up a system to hang some rod and reels from the interior roof of my SUV. I drive a 2013 Jeep Patriot. I have

I'm looking to rig up a system to hang some rod and reels from the interior roof of my SUV. I drive a 2013 Jeep Patriot. I have an issue of F&S; (May 2011) that gave me the idea, but as the author drives a Tahoe this system has a flaw. The only anchor points I have are grab handles above the front seats and above the back seats. Any ideas?

Matt,
    Just for grins check with your Jeep dealer for their accessories. I have the Grand Cherokee and was surprised at the selection of accessories available made by Jeep and also after-market. You may get some ideas from what they offer.

Comment

No garment hooks? What the ...? What kinda vehicle wouldn't have garment hooks? Guess I'm not buying a Jeep! I have two sets of garment hooks in my 1999 Jimmy, one set over the back door windows and one pair inside the cargo area. I simply ran two garment rail extension tubes for both sets of hooks and then slung the guns, rods, collapsible dog crate, etc. up there. Use those small bungee chord loops with the plastic balls on ends to fasten the stuff in place.

Comment

I think bungie chords, pair on each handle, put rods between the two, I am going to have to try this now.

Comment

I've used the garment hooks on most SUVs I've had. I thread the rod in from the rear, over the hook and hide the rod tip under the visor. The weight of the reel is pretty well balanced and stayed in place pretty well. Don't know if the Patriot has these.

Comment

Dakota: Better pray one of those bungees doesn't break or come apart while you're driving down the road. Yowee! Conjures up a dangerous image of jumbled fishing rods flying in every direction. I meant using the bungee cords to secure the poles/guns to the garment rails so they don't shift around (and fall on my dogs!).

Comment

OH, I haven't used the bungees. I just put one rod over each garment hook. This forces a bend in the rod that holds it in place firmly as long as I tuck the front of the rod into my visor. I've actually never had one come loose. However, you have to have a garment hook to make this work.

Comment

Interesting! Would never have thought of that. Thanks for clarifying.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad