Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

which is better for catching bait a seine or a cast net? Why? Or is there something better than either one of those? why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which is better for catching bait a seine or a cast net? Why? Or is there something better than either one of those? why?

which is better for catching bait a seine or a cast net? Why? Or is there something better than either one of those? why?

You can tell I didn't wait five minutes. Sorry for several copies.

Comment

They are both good tools for getting bait. They just apply to different situations. If you are trying to get bait in a shallow portion of water or a creek, the seine works well. If you are in a boat or over deep water, the cast net does well.

Comment

Yeah, both are good depending on the situation. Seine net in places where you can wade, cast net in other places, or even in places where you could wade but would rather not. And a seine net takes two people, unless it’s a really small one. Keep in mind, some states allow seines but not cast nets, even for catching bait. I don’t get it, but check your local regs.

Comment

We are allowed both in Oklahoma. I will be starting in a creek and didn't know which was best. Can you use a cast net in shallow water?

Comment

creeks are harder but not impossible to catch bait in. The fish can often hide under banks, in roots or other places and with the water moving you seine has to have more weight on the bottom and your cast has to be a little higher upstream. Both nets are effective for what they are made to do.

Comment

Both nets work for me. I carry a small cast net under the back seat of my truck just in case I get the urge to stop and fish along the causeway or one of the many seawalls in my area. Brunson Net Co. built me two custom minnow seines that are twenty feet long and made of light weight mono. When the white shrimp are in shallow water near the beaches in Mobile bay, I tie the two nets together with a pole on each end. Then I stick one pole in the sand at the water's edge and walk out into the water carrying the other pole making a circle back to shore. It is an easy way to catch shrimp and really works good on flounder during a Mobile Bay jubilee. I also set minnow traps baited with cotton seed meal because I like to use minnows from my local river to use as crappie bait.

Comment

Hi...

The seine net can kill or 'wound' fish if it wasn't tended in a timely manner.

Comment

pathfinder 1
                  I think you are confusing seine and a gill net because a seine is always tended.

Comment

pathfinder 1
                    I think you are confusing seine and a gill net because a seine is always tended.

Comment

Sure, you can use a cast net in shallow water. It doesn't work nearly as well as a seine in a small creek though because it is usually catching on weeds, rocks, trees etc. If you see a school of bait fish and cast a net over them, you will have bait though.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad