Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have any special tactics for catching big smallmouth in Canada? Me and a group of guys went on a fishing trip to Que

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have any special tactics for catching big smallmouth in Canada? Me and a group of guys went on a fishing trip to Que

Does anyone have any special tactics for catching big smallmouth in Canada? Me and a group of guys went on a fishing trip to Quebec last summer and are going again this June. Our cabin is about an hour and a half NW of Montreal. We caught an enormous amount of smallmouth, but none over 2.5 lbs. This is a private lake with no river feeding into it. Water temp was around 55-60 degrees. We had the most luck using poppers, especially at night. Another thing, any tips for catching lake trout? Thank you

Maybe try some tubes, or drop shot of deeper structure were the bigger ones are.

Comment

Drop shot a 5 inch Senko or use a tube like canvasbuckhunter suggested.

Comment

I don't know anything about catching big smallmouth bass in Canada, but I'm an expert on catching small largemouth bass in the U.S.:-)

Comment

Large smallies are harder to find up here because they grow so slowly in these northern waters.

As to lakers, just about any fair to middling sized spoon will work well. Old red & white Daredevil is pretty hard to beat. Troll it deep and slow (which will help keep it deep). I do fine catching them out of a canoe (if I even want them) just using my paddle for propulsion. If you don't get it deep you'll be hooking up all the time with northerns (usually small ones).

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad