Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Agreed with DakotaMan and + 1 for you sir!!!

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Really depends on what are fishing for and what line weight you have. Looks from your profile like you are fishing the Martha's Vinyard area of the Atlantic. About a 2 oz to 4 oz pyramid sinker should hold you tight in the sand and be relatively easy to cast with 12 to 17 lb line on a surf rod. You usually need at least this amount of weight or even more to hold your bait against the rolling surf. Also, lets you cast way out there where the big ones are.

Leave a comment:

• jlfreeborn
    replied
    Whatever it takes to hold. I'm on hatteras right now (raining buckets) and we've had to use either a 5 or 6 oz weight and at times going up to 7 or 8. Just depends on what the current is doing. I like to use a 4, but the current is usually too strong for that.

Leave a comment:

• cAnyBux90
    replied
    No worries, your feedback is jut as good as mine, just out here in SO CAL most of surf fishermen are targeting perch, which require super light lines

Leave a comment:

• wallygator
    replied
    However I think a 1/4 ounce pyramid sinker on the tag end of the line (steel leader included) is a good choice for most onshore conditions. Sorry to be a butthead, but most fish I've caught (and lost) surf fishing will chew that line up to shreds.

Leave a comment:

• wallygator
    replied
    No way. On a surfcaster at least a 12# line might be sufficient w/ a steel leader for durability because bluefish will literally chew thier way up the line! I have seen one chew 4 inches of steel leader like it's nothing. I think ol' boy is looking for something bigger.

Leave a comment:

• cAnyBux90
    replied
    Surf fishing all depends on the conditions, assuming you are using light line for perch and corbina, I would suggest four pound test, and a 1/4 ounce up to 1 ounce sinker depending on the current and the surf

Leave a comment:

• what size weight should you surf fish with

what size weight should you surf fish with

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad