Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am trying to get into fly fishing for bass. I already have a rod and reel and line but was wondering what kind of flies i shou

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am trying to get into fly fishing for bass. I already have a rod and reel and line but was wondering what kind of flies i shou

I am trying to get into fly fishing for bass. I already have a rod and reel and line but was wondering what kind of flies i should use.. any information will help greatly

I've had good luck with wet flies - yellows streamers especially.

Comment

It depends: Fishing moving water- river or stream: muddler minnows, wooly buggers, clouser minnows, leech patterns, sculpin patterns. Also, stonefly patterns and other nymph patterns work really well some days.

In a pond or lake/slower water-hair frog, hair mouse, cork poppers plus any of the above below the surface.

Comment

The most fun way, by far, is poppers. I suggest using foam poppers, since they're light and fish love them.

You can make your own, they're easy and fun to tie. Otherwise, streamers like the Murdich Minnow and the Clouser Deep Minnow are some of the very best for under water.

For lots of info on fly fishing for smallmouth and largemouth bass, check out flybass.com.

Comment

I've had good luck with wooley buggers and streamers, as well as assorted top water flies.

Comment

thanks alot for the info. any more advice and leaders and stuff like that. im using an 8 ft 8 weight rod if thats any help

Comment

Match the Hatch. Find what they are feeding on and buy or tie flys to match.

Comment

Below the surface, a clouser in a gray or silver color to imitate a shiner worked deep in early Spring works for me. Also mid-depth, try a wooly bugger. I use black or dark purple.

When the water warms I go on top with a deer hair frog imitation worked near lily pads or structure works for me as well.

I don't worry too much about using a tapered leader for either above or below surface. A straight piece of flourocarbon strong enough to horse a bass from the kind of grass you fish near/over(maybe 12 lb?) should work.

Remember a fly rod, even an 8 weight (which I use) doesn't have the backbone to yank bass entangled in lily pads, so when you hook one, get it out to open water as soon as you can. Have fun!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad