Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hello guys, my name is montana tatum i live in oklahoma and i love to fish, only thing is during the cold weather i cant catch a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hello guys, my name is montana tatum i live in oklahoma and i love to fish, only thing is during the cold weather i cant catch a

hello guys, my name is montana tatum i live in oklahoma and i love to fish, only thing is during the cold weather i cant catch anything in my grandads 5 acre pond ive tried worms jigs cranks spinners everything but cant seem to catch them i was wondering if someone could help me, this is my first post.

When you do fish, reel in slowly and try to use very wriggly bait and/or brightly colored lures.You could also try one of those new blinking lures. But the fact is that in cold weather the fish are a lot less active and sometimes wont eat anything. Good luck.
    P.S. Do you hunt?

Comment

Also I forgot to mention. In cold weather those scents you spray on lures is sometimes very effective as I have used them.

Comment

Where in Ok?

Have you tried anything besides lures?
        Minnows, worms, liver and dough baits may work.

Comment

Try a slip bobber,to change depth.Use small sassy shad type baits,marabou jigs and rapala ice jigs(minnow imitation)cast them let the rings settle then give a medium pull and let settle again.Watch for strikes they can be very subtle,keep changing depth.My friend fishes this way and catches fish during the cold weather consistently,key fish slowly. Good luck

Comment

The Bassmaster Classic was just won on jerkbaits. The Classic was out on Grand lake, OK. Try the above, but if that don't work, try a jerkbait slow, then gradually start to speed up the retrieve.

Comment

to the hunter98.6I do hunt sir. and thanks for the tips guys they did work. Also I live in Chelsea Oklahoma around 30 minutes from Tulsa and grand lake

Comment

Bass on a small pond like that rise to lures that mimic their daily food. This is usually blue gills or shad in the winter time. See if you find out what forage fish are in the pond and try them or lures that mimic them. I've found shad raps and rattle traps in color patterns that match your feed fish to be quite effective on ponds this size. Its too early for most surface lures, bugs, chuggers or buzz baits. It usually even too early for Texas rigged plastic worms.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad