Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am currently "building my bass boat." I have a 14ft aluminium boat, i rigged up a trolling motor on the bow and cut a piece of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am currently "building my bass boat." I have a 14ft aluminium boat, i rigged up a trolling motor on the bow and cut a piece of

I am currently "building my bass boat." I have a 14ft aluminium boat, i rigged up a trolling motor on the bow and cut a piece of plywood to fit over over the front two seats. My plan was to put a livewell under it. I am on a budget (otherwise i would buy a real boat), how would i go about putting in a small live well? Will a large tupperware container work? What kind of aerator pump should i get? Any other thoughts?

The biggest problem with tupperware is that it is not really strong enough to stand the weight and splashing of the water. You would need to just use it as a liner for lets say a plywood box. Next, fish use the bathroom in the same water in which they swim. This water then contains amonia which will burn the fish's gills such that they can no longer extract oxygen from the water. Nature takes care of this problem with natural bacteria which eat the amonia, but in a small closed area, there will not be enough bacteria to eat the all the amonia which several bass will put into the live well. So the water in the live well needs to be constantly replaced with fresh water to thin down the amonia build up. Thus you will need a bulkhead fitting to connect the live well to the outside of the boat. It would just be simpler to build a couple of plywood boxes with plenty of small holes drilled in the bottoms and mount them on the stern of the boat, one on each side of the motor.

Comment

With you and a trolling motor on the front and first two seats of a 14' boat it may be too unstable. you may need a second person in the back to even it out.
      I like the idea of using a container along side the boat for live well.

Comment

Sounds like a good idea, I'll try that.

Comment

When adding things be careful of the weight. Add stuff and float it. If you and your gear and buddies are too much, or you draft too much (for fishing in shallow rivers and streams), you will be then pulling stuff back out. Been there.

I have never done the live well thing (see above on weight), but I sure thought about it. Try a use (big) cooler and wall mart bilge pump in the bottom for the live well. As it bilges water out have a new sam size hose pulling in fresh water to the bottom.

Comment

Just wondering, how did you rig you trolling motor to the bow? I'm assuming you didn't get one of those expensive bow mount since funds are limited. Wondering cause I'm trying to think of a clever way to mount a smaller transom mount to the bow. I'd like to be able to controll the position of my Jon boat from the front for bass fishing

Comment

I have already though about weight. I have a light motor, light gear, and i am trying to lose a few pounds before summer. Apparently people can't handle me when i'm fishing, i "take it to seriously," so i fish by myself.

Ncarl- I love having the motor on the front. It is so much easier to control in the wind. It took some time to figure it out, but i cut wood into some wedges to make the mount vertical and support the sheet metal. Its kinda hard to explain, just play around with it. My boat is a V-hull, so it will be a little different for you, but it can be done cause i had a buddy who did it on his jon. Be careful too. Have you ever seen that Bill Dance blooper where the trolling motor jumped off the boat when he turned it up, that happened on my first trial.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How do you fly ?
                by PigHunter
                Like most everyone else, I buy a scope to feel a need. Only a few times have I taken advantage of a sale.

The Leupold VX3i on my .308 is...
                Today, 06:44 PM
              • How do you fly ?
                by jhjimbo
                Do you buy a scope when it is on deep discount, then look for the perfect rifle to put it on ? Or, you have the rifle and it needs glass, justkeep looking...
                Today, 04:18 PM
              • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                by PigHunter
                Bubba, I've been curious too. This is our first and so far I like it during dry fire. We're going to see how it is at the range in a few days....
                Today, 06:35 PM
              • Handgun Laser Sights
                by PigHunter
                On 7/19, Milldawg mentioned he'd ordered a laser sight for his wife's Ruger LCP 380 and they were on sale at MidwayUSA. Well, that inspired me to order...
                08-03-2020, 11:20 AM
              • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                by PigHunter
                Good question. The old style Ruger LC9 has a very long trigger pull that's similar to that of a double action only revolver. I think it would be unlikely...
                Today, 06:32 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X