Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am going pike fishing on April 10, 11, 12 in a small swampy pond in Connecticut, what lures should I use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am going pike fishing on April 10, 11, 12 in a small swampy pond in Connecticut, what lures should I use?

I am going pike fishing on April 10, 11, 12 in a small swampy pond in Connecticut, what lures should I use?

I would certainly include in-line spinners with bucktails and a few spinner baits. Rapalas are also good. Last you could throw in a daredevil spoon and a red eye spoon. Are you fishing northern pike or pickeral?

Comment

salmo hornet size 6 in the fire tiger color. It's my go to northern lure

Comment

depending on the weather a large frog can work well.

Comment

Anything bright, big and weedless. Work the top water hard in heavy cover.

Comment

In early spring I’d start with something that can be fished slowly. A big Slug-go rigged weedless is hard to beat.

Comment

Johnson silver minnow with a white rubber tail, its a good weedless lure, I have caught a ton of pike on it. Slug-go as indicated above is a killer, slow is the key in the spring. Fine streams and fish the mouth and cast up the streams. The deadliest I have ever used for spring pike is a large articulated fly, with some head weight with floating line. Twitch it fast but strip it slow.

Comment

Sorry the above mentioned fly was a huge marabou streamer, white with some pink gills.

Comment

Hi...

A "swampy" pond tells me that weeds and other growths may be evident where you're fishing.

My favorite (northern) pike lure is the jointed Rapala. (That goes for all fish in the pickerel family). Just be sure that whatever lures you use are weedless when you are fishing in weed-filled water.

Comment

If frogs are out a rebel buzzing frog can produce some awesome strikes

Comment

Big ones. Let us know how it works out.

Comment

My #1 pike bait is a genuine red and white Daredevil. Especially just after ice out.

Comment

thanks all, sorry about the category being bass

Comment

I usually catch Pike while fishing for Walleye, but if I'm solely fishing for Pike I use a classic red and white spoon.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Rest Easy
                              by FirstBubba
                              "... I took your advice and blocked the slimy nine and the red rodent, ..."

Welcome! It's pretty sad to rant and rave on a blog...
                              Today, 04:39 PM
                            • Rest Easy
                              by jhjimbo
                              Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                              Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                            • Reply to Rest Easy
                              by 99explorer
                              Even if the Democrats take the White House and the Senate, it will still take 60 Senate votes to kill the filibuster, because of the filibuster!
                              Today, 03:02 PM
                            • Reply to Rest Easy
                              by jhjimbo
                              They know IF Trump wins and holds the Senate and picks up some down ticket it will mean the end of the Dem party for at least ten years if not more....
                              Today, 02:39 PM
                            • Reply to Rest Easy
                              by bowhunter75richard
                              I am most pleased with the Barrett confirmation, now we only need to see the fallout from the D’s. With the reelection of Trump, probably not too much...
                              Today, 01:18 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X