Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am starting to consider buying a new baitcaster rod and reel and am looking for a setup that is able to handle using lighter l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am starting to consider buying a new baitcaster rod and reel and am looking for a setup that is able to handle using lighter l

I am starting to consider buying a new baitcaster rod and reel and am looking for a setup that is able to handle using lighter lures such as scum frogs and other lightweight plastics or topwaters, but still be able to haul bass out from lilypads and other thick weeds. Any suggestions would be great, especially those that can fit into a soon-to-be college student budget! I currently have an Abu Garcia SilverMax that I purchased last year! Thanks!

Depending on the skill level that you have developed with your baitcaster, light weight lures are a breeze to cast with the US Reel SuperCasters. The levelwind system that they use helps the casting of very light weight lures because the line does not have to go through a reel guide while casting. Pros like Roland Martin, Jimmy Houston, and the Hibdons have all found that they can cast lighter weights for greater distances with them. But as with all baitcasters, you have to thumb the edge of the spool and not the line. So do not overfill the spool with line, leave some of the edge exposed for braking.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad