Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need some help with fly fishing. never done it but gonna try. need a fairly cheap setup, that could cover bluegill? bass? and Tr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some help with fly fishing. never done it but gonna try. need a fairly cheap setup, that could cover bluegill? bass? and Tr

need some help with fly fishing. never done it but gonna try. need a fairly cheap setup, that could cover bluegill? bass? and Trout? i dont know if thats possible but ill make do. i have no idea what im getting into so any suggestion is a good one! thanks

oh yea. i need info on line leader. flys. tippet. anything lol. thanks

Comment

I wouldn't spend much on your first setup just so you don't end up with a bunch of expensive gear that you don't use.

Other than that it would be very helpful if you could list the type of water you'll be fishing on. (i.e. lake, river, other?) What is the average size of the fish in your area?

Comment

This is not two things that go together fly fishing and cheap but lets give it a try.Bruisesausage is correct I wound not spend to much getting started and your question is rather vauge.Bass,bluegill and trout are different needs in fly fishing,you cast the line with a fly rod and line weight is the focal point of your search.What will you be fishing for most if trout in smaller water 5 weight would be a good selection,bass 6 wt.or 7 floating line.Cabelas Bass Pro LL Bean and Gander Mountain all sell starter sets and the discriptions of the rods will help.Fly fishing is a great way to go it can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be.

Comment

You can get some fairly inexpensive rod-real combo packages from suppliers like Cabelas that also come with a couple of flys and accessories.

But, You might want to also look around and see if there's a fly shop around you. I'm sure the owner would help you with advice and tackle specific to what you're fishing for. A good shop won't try to stick you with hundreds of $ in gear if you're new. Walk away if they pull out a $200 rod that they tell you needs to be your first purchase. Most shops are really helpful and many also give lessons, even if they are just informal ones, for free. (Warning: they are just trying to get you into the sport so they can get your money later).

Comment

Shakespeare used to sell a combo for less than $20/$30.
            I've worn out a couple already and love 'em.

Just an aside.
            Keep in mind the Shakespeare setup is inexpensive. Will it work? Sure! Just not very well for very long. Once you get the basics down, find a little better rig.
            Inexpensive equipment CAN hinder you learning. You don't need a Rolls Royce to learn with, but you don't want to enter Daytona in a '64 Ford Falcon! LOL!

Comment

There are a few full outfits from that cost in the $100 range. Those are decent setups that will do what you want, and that is cheap in fly-fishing terms. I would get a 6wt rod and line. I fish for bluegill and trout on my fly line. Sponge spiders are great flies for bluegill. Find a local fly shop if available and they will help you with needed flies.

Comment

Basspro, cabela's, gandermtn, etc. each offer starter outfits that will come complete with rod, reel, backing, line, leaders, flies, and most likely some vest accessories for around a hundred bucks.
                5 or 6 wt. sounds about right for the fishing you describe.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Visible Voter "fraud"
                  by 99explorer
                  I like this excerpt from the link to The Amerrican Thinker:

"The burden is now on the “coronation crowd” and the courts.
                  All of...
                  Today, 04:05 PM
                • Visible Voter "fraud"
                  by FirstBubba
                  First. Note that in Milwaukee, WI, another 386 uncounted votes were found(?).

On to bigger and much more visible evidence.

Today, 10:13 AM
                • Reply to Voter Fraud
                  by 99explorer
                  The reason Trump drew so much support from the black community is that Biden's Crime Bill of 1994 had put so many of the brothers behind bars.
                  Today, 03:37 PM
                • Voter Fraud
                  by bowhunter75richard
                  For those who claim voter fraud is not happening......Google The Heritage Foundation/election fraud cases ! All states are listed.......it just might...
                  11-06-2020, 08:01 PM
                • Reply to Voter Fraud
                  by bowhunter75richard
                  When uneducated people continue to vote for the man instead of the agenda of a party, we will continue to see the BS that is being reported to us after...
                  Today, 02:23 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X