Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I always put the line the correct way on my baitcasting reels (I put it on the so that it goes on the reel the same direction it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I always put the line the correct way on my baitcasting reels (I put it on the so that it goes on the reel the same direction it

I always put the line the correct way on my baitcasting reels (I put it on the so that it goes on the reel the same direction it went on spool) but after a day or so of use the line comes off the spool like a freekin' slinky. I'm pretty frustrated if you can't tell. Is there any way to eliminate this? It's mono if that helps.

That sounds more like the problem of a spin casting reel.

Comment

For a baitcaster, make sure you are using good line without "memory" such as Momoi Illusion.

Comment

I'm with Country... use a low memory mono and go as light as you can. I haven't tried the one he suggested but I'm fine with Trilene XL. You could certainly use braided line too if you don't like the mono.

Comment

I'm using suffix elite 12 lb. I kinda thought about going to braid. Will braid work for just about any technique or is it more for specialized techniques. By techniques I mean cranking, flipping/pitching, jigging ect ect.

Comment

Ncarl, I use the Elite #12 with no problems on my baitcasters. I have found that when I spray my reels down with WD40 to clean them, the stoddart chemicals in it seem to soften up the line without hurting it too much. I have even sprayed Armor All on the line to help make it soft and not take a set. When the line does finally take a bad set, I unspool it and reverse it on the reel.

Comment

When it comes to baitcasters I like to use a braided line. Little to no memory and tough enough to go through the thick stuff.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad