Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey everyone, recently I have been fishing an extremely small pond, ten feet deep and about the size of the average pool. I know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey everyone, recently I have been fishing an extremely small pond, ten feet deep and about the size of the average pool. I know

Hey everyone, recently I have been fishing an extremely small pond, ten feet deep and about the size of the average pool. I know there are large bass in there, looks like they are almost seven pounds, water is stained with about two feet depth visibility, any clue on how to get these fish to bite???

We have a similar pond. The only way i have gotten them to bite is to use a Mr. Froggey lure, cast it out as far as possible, and just reel in slowly. I have gotten a couple godd bites and recently caught a 4 pounder with it.

Comment

If you are not opposed to it I would use live bait. Small bream, night crawlers whatever.

Comment

I agree, a top-water lure might be your best option. Try pitching a frog, popper or buzzbait. If that doesn't work, your next best bet is to switch to a Texas rigged plastic worm. Try a watermelon or junebug color pattern.

Comment

you have to get berkely power bait, I promise you it will work. GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Comment

Berkley Gulp frogs in a color that closely matches your area's frogs. It's spring spawning now though, so dropping just about anything in the right spot can get you a strike from a bass on the nest. Caught a 7 pounder last spring on a crappie jig and ultralight reel. Needless to say, I was after crappie, and was very thankful to land the hog. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys I am trying out your tips tomorrow

Comment

Aside from using topwater lures, chatter baits would most likely work just cast out and reel in at your comfortable speed.

Comment

I once had a similar pond on my place with a similar problem. I drug every lure in my tackle box past them and they wouldn't so much as take a look. I could usually see them and that was even more frustrating. My solution was to use a 12 gauge shotgun with 4 buck when they came cruising the shoreline about 2 feet deep. That worked pretty well but the water was too cold to enjoy wading so I didn't harvest too many. Then about early July, I put a hook in a frog's lower lip and tossed it to the middle of the pond. I never had one make it back to the shore. The moral of this story is give them time... when it warms up a little, they will hit anything that moves and they aren't going anywhere.

Comment

Dakotaboy: I'm glad that you told us the moral of this story, because I derived a slightly different idea. I came to the conclusion that not only are you a poor fisherman, but you were so frustrated that your quarry had outwitted you, you felt the need to resort to ammunition. I hope you ate the bass, if by chance there was anything left.

Comment

In a pond that small, the bass will spook easily. Try using a whole nightcrawler on a #4 or #2 hook with light line. Keep a low profile when approaching the bank and gently flip the crawler out. No weight, just the hook and worm. Let it sit for awhile or move it VERY slowly every minute or so.
                      Good Luck!

Comment

jfose, you are very astute. I actually did that bass shot when I was about 11 or 12 and got in big trouble for it. We depended on the wildlife around us for our food and I hadn't yet heard much of sportsmanship... just get the thing for dinner and get it quick. Slowly but surely over the last 50 years or so I have become quite a sportsman but I still can't catch fish worth a darn... :-) Oh, by the way, I don't remember how many BBs hit the bass, I don't think there was more than one or two... I remember being surprised that he wasn't more damaged and we all enjoyed the meal since I was able to catch a few crappies in the river too.

Comment

Dakotaman, The realization that you have come to is very respectable. I appreciate your explanation.

Comment

Agreed with KMB33 and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad