Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of fishing can you do from a canoe this time of year? Any advice can help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of fishing can you do from a canoe this time of year? Any advice can help.

What type of fishing can you do from a canoe this time of year? Any advice can help.

It's not the vessel amigo!
    It's seasons, what bait you're using and what's biting.
    I don't think I'd care about harpooning whales, but anything freshwater is a go!

Comment

Well then what is biting good from a vessel? I've only been fishing on a dock. Also, what technique should I use? And what bait should I use?

Comment

Fish: Striped bass, Largemouth bass, Bluegill, Channel catfish, Yellow perch, White bass are what is listed in lake Norman. I would target any of them this time of year, but then again, I'm from Maine and the only fish I have off that list are LM bass and yellow perch. Maybe some one else will weigh in who knows more about fishing NC in the winter. Fish, especially warm water fish, become more lethargic in the cold winter water. Fishing deeper edges, 15-20 feet deep might serve you better this time of year than fishing in the weeds on shore as the fish tend to seek warmer thermals within the water. Good luck, happy fishing.

Comment

Don't know where you are, but catfishing is pretty good year round.Cut shad, stink baits and minnows all work. For crappie, I'd look for them suspended in 15 to 25 feet in structure.. Jigs and small minnows. Bass are deep.

Comment

I live on lake norman in NC. I have no depthfinder or anything hightech like that.

Comment

Where I live, I could put my ice auger and other gear in my canoe, drag it out on the lake, drill a hole on each side, sit in the canoe and commence to fish. But it probably would be easier without the canoe. In places with open water, I’d suggest using slow, subtle presentations with small baits or lures. Fish deeper drop-offs and weed edges.

Comment

Ditto Drover! Although, this time of year, I prefer a flat bottom boat. Its a little less tipsy on the ice hahaha

Comment

In my neck of the woods that would be ice fishing, though others might wonder why you dragged a canoe across the ice instead of just a sled.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad