Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have any tips for trolling for bass in a little lake? Ive never done it before and need to know where to start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have any tips for trolling for bass in a little lake? Ive never done it before and need to know where to start.

Anyone have any tips for trolling for bass in a little lake? Ive never done it before and need to know where to start.

Doesn't usually work very well. I would get one once in a while as a kid using a very small flatfish. Troll as slow as you can. If there's a wind out, just drift with it. Good luck.

Comment

I agree with OH. If when you say small lake you actually mean big pond I wouldn't try it at all. If, your small lake is 200-300 acres then I would just drag a 1 1/2" twist tail or a crank bait through the water at a certain depth depending on the time of the season.

Comment

In the summer time when they hug the bottom all day, just drag a rubber worm right on the bottom. Go very slowly, just let the wind push you if possible. You can also troll crank baits like the Rapala Shadrap along the bank but in a small pond, you do better casting these and dragging them out from the shoreline.

Comment

It would kind of depend on the depth but I have see people troll for crappie in a small pond once. They would tie a hook on the end of the line and put a small minnow on the hook and let the minnow just skip on top of the water. To my amazement it work great. I would think you would do the same thing for bass just use a bigger hook and minnow.

Comment

if its small your better off casting with slow retrive if you want desired action. The problem with trolling is your more likely to snag on depth changes which is where fish will more than likely be. So the control of casting is necessary.

Comment

I just read an article in BassMaster magazine. They call it "strolling". Using your trolling motor; head in one direction letting out all of your line as you're moving. Once your line is let out - stop and slowly start reeling it in, playing it as you go. Not sure if it works or not; but I am going to try it this summer. Good Luck!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad