Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Went fishing in a half-acre farm pond this past weekend. Within 3 hours I had landed 14 bass using a 7 inch plastic worm. All

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went fishing in a half-acre farm pond this past weekend. Within 3 hours I had landed 14 bass using a 7 inch plastic worm. All

Went fishing in a half-acre farm pond this past weekend. Within 3 hours I had landed 14 bass using a 7 inch plastic worm. All the bass were 10 - 15 inches though. My gut reaction is that this farm pond has too many bass in it, and that they will all stay around that size because of competition for food. Do you think this is the case? If so, how many do I pull out to allow for a larger avg. size of bass?

Sounds like that could be the case, but if that was the only time you have fished that pond, I wouldn't take drastic action now. A half-acre pond is not so large that you can remove a lot of fish and see an appreciable difference soon. I would just work on removing a few a week, but still keeping accurate notes on how many you catch over a specified time period. You should be able to contact your local department of conservation and/or natural resources to get more information on what they recommend given the size of the pond and the number of recorded fish you have pulled out during several outings.

Comment

auburn's right. I'd keep a good mess, say a dozen or so, then see how it goes. If you're still catching tons of little ones, keep another mess. Good luck finding a helpful conservation agent, and congrats on having a fun place to fish~!

Comment

If you don't like to eat the "mess" of bass, I would stock 1 or 2 one-foot long (male) pike.

Comment

To me, 14 bass in 3 hrs is a good day, possibly a sign of overpopulation, but not definitive. I've fished in a pond and caught 30 or better in an hour about that size. Now THAT's overpopulated. It probably wouldn't hurt to keep a few though.

Comment

Agreed with auburn_hunter and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad