Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will a 3 hp motor push you up a medium sized river? also how do you know if there are fish in this river? it says there's bass a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a 3 hp motor push you up a medium sized river? also how do you know if there are fish in this river? it says there's bass a

Will a 3 hp motor push you up a medium sized river? also how do you know if there are fish in this river? it says there's bass and panfish and pike but how would you locate these? the water is usually pretty muddy and not see through.

If you own a battle ship, the 3hp motor will probably not even move it at all, yet on a canoe you might be able to water ski behind it. The mass of the hull itself, the displacement of the hull and the shape of the hull will be factors of the needed horsepower as well as how much you load into the the hull. In general a long narrow hull such as a hollowed out log like you see used in some countries will carry a good load with very little horse power. Displacement hulls like sail boats do not require much horsepower to move, but a planing hull requires a lot of horsepower to get it up out of the water into the planing state where then it does not require a lot of horsepower to keep it there. A "V" bottom boat usually has steps added to the "V" to help reduce the power to get it up on a plane. A five step hull will let the boat get up on the "step" five different times by getting a little more hull out of the water each step before actually being on the plane. A flat bottom boat has to go a plane in just one big step. Then if you are going up stream , you might be fighting a current which is the speed and force of the water coming down stream. Very swift water can be a match for 3hp even on a canoe.

As to fish, most bodies of water will have fish in them, it is your duty to find them to catch them. That is the true meaning of "to fish". I often have "to fish" for my keys in my pocket for example. I have caught just as many fish out of muddy water as clear water. Actually I like swift muddy water the best for bass fishing because many times a bass will sit infront of an obstruction such as a post or stump facing up stream with mouth open traping food coming down stream. All I have to do is let a bait be carried down stream into its mouth.

Comment

I put a 5hp Merc on a 16 foot john boat. Superb on small to medium sized lakes.
      I wouldn't put it in running water or a large lake. Just not enough "oomph"!

Comment

Hi...

Much info is missing. However, if the river has any speed to it at all, I would recommend at least a 9.9 hp. I used one on a wooden 16-foot boat on rivers that were quite rapidly flowing in many parts, and was very satisfied with its performance.

So, can't say for sure, just expressing my own experience.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad