Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever made a homemade fishing lure? If you have, what kind of lure was it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever made a homemade fishing lure? If you have, what kind of lure was it?

Have you ever made a homemade fishing lure? If you have, what kind of lure was it?

I've tied enough goofy, bug looking "flies" to supply a tackle shop. I made a spoon out of (guess what?) one of my mothers (thank goodness!) everyday spoons! It didn't catch any fish but did occupy a good portion of an otherwise boring Saturday.
    I carved a "River Runt" out of a piece of pine. Painted it with (WHAT?) my mother's finger nail polish. (red and an odd, dark, pink!) I stripped a Heddon "River Runt" out of my dad's tackle box. (HE never used it......I thought!) I DID hook a fish, but the rear treble pulled out of the soft pine! (Don't know WHY dad was all upset! I replaced [returned?] the parts I didn't lose! Geez!) That took one whole day, two bandaids and a break for dinner with black berry cobbler!

Comment

I make my own spinnerbaits and in-line spinners. The northerns love them.

Comment

As a 12 year old, I made a spinner out of a straightened paper clip, old plastic pearls and to pop tops that came from soda cans (remember them). And caught a hell of a large mouth on it. Now I make pre make. pre hooked up carolina and texas rigs with a small snap on the upstream side. Want to change baits, just unhook one and add the other.

Chuckles: What do you use for the wire? I am looking to make my own mepps musky killers, the real ones are getting too expensive to loose.

Comment

I have made hundreds of lures over the years. I have designed, made, and own molds for soft plastic worms, grubs, and many other creatures. I have also designed and made lead molds for hundreds of different lead shapes and jigs. I have probaby lost more homemade buck tail jigs than you will ever see in a lifetime. I have dies to stamp out spinner blades and lure lips. I have a wood lathe with a pantagraph and have turned out many wood lures. Yet now-a-days, I mostly bass fish with Uncle Josh natural pork worms on hand bent hooks with home cast worm weights. I have found, in my hands, that they catch fish as well or better than soft plastics and one worm can be used over and over again. Just put it back in the jar after the fishing trip and it is ready to use on the next.

But if you want to carve a good wood lure, you need to start with two pieces of wood and cut a small groove down the center for a through wire then glue the two halfs together. The through wire will make using soft light woods which do not hold scews well possible. I like juniper and balsa best. An alternate method instead of through wire is to drill the finished lure with a top to bottom zig zag pattern and using the exit points to attach hooks. The zara spook is an easy lure design to start with and can be hand carved or turned on a lathe. I will try to post a drawing of how to do the zig zag thing in my profile sometime today.

Comment

Rockysquirrel, I buy pre-cut blanks in different diameters. You can also cut your own from good quality stainless steel wire but they require straightening and I got tired of it.
            The pre-cut ones have one eye already formed. One place I know you can order them is a place called Thorne Bros. which specializes in muskie tackle here in the Twin Cities. www.thornebros.com Another place that often has them is Fleet Farm if you have those where you live. Kinda like a Home Depot, ranch Co-op and Cabelas combined.
            Good luck with the muskies, big fish season is here.

Comment

Chuckles: Thanks I will look at that!!

Comment

I've made a couple. On one I took a 7 oz Coors can and riveted a tablespoon to it. I cut a Leggs stocking egg to make a cover for the end to make it more aerodynmic. I riveted hooks to the spoon shank. It really had nice action and looked pretty good in the water. I trolled for big northerns with it for two days but never had a taker. I've got another design that I might still manufacture... it definitely caught all kinds of fish.

Comment

I just added a quick sketch of how to throuh line a soft wood lure on my profile. Dakotaman, I have made a lot of spoon lures using SS soup spoons. The spoon is round, not tear drop shaped and has a great action in the water. I cut off the handle leaving about an inch still on the spoon. Then I dirll a small hole in the short pice of handle left on the spoon and a small hole in the front lip of the spoon. Then I take a two inch long piece of yellow 1/4" hollow polypropylene rope and tie it onto the short piece of handle left on the spoon. I unravel about an 1nch and a half of the rope, then I finish it with two split rings. One holds the rear hook and one to tie the line too. They are muder on spanish mackerel and I can make a dozen of them for around five bucks.

Comment

Santa; THANK YOU SIR! How many times do we see old spoons in a thrift store. F&S out do to a book on how to make lures from old stuff. Next tim in good will, I am looking at the spoons!!

Comment

Santa; THANK YOU SIR! How many times do we see old spoons in a thrift store. F&S out do to a book on how to make lures from old stuff. Next tim in good will, I am looking at the spoons!!

Comment

I've made a couple. On one I took a 7 oz Coors can and riveted a tablespoon to it. I cut a Leggs stocking egg to make a cover for the end to make it more aerodynmic. I riveted hooks to the spoon shank. It really had nice action and looked pretty good in the water. I trolled for big northerns with it for two days but never had a taker. I've got another design that I might still manufacture... it definitely caught all kinds of fish.

Comment

I can see the site is acting up again from all the double posts.

Comment

RockySquirrel, One trick on drillig the holes in the spoons is to use a drill press but put the spoon in a pan containing light oil such as transmission fluid to keep the drill bit cool while keeping the drill at a low speed. Small drill bits are easy to break, easy to burn up on stainless, and hard to see with my old eyes to sharpen. By the way, I have a local resturant supply house that sells SS soup spoons for $1.97 a dozen new, so just round them off to $0.17 each. I buy split rings by the 1,000 pack so they cost $0.03 each. The rope cost about $0.08 per foot. The last bulk Eagle Claw treble hooks I bought off ebay, after adding shipping cost me $0.14 each. So it cost me around $0.39 in material plus a little string to tie off the skirt to build a soup spoon lure.

Comment

No but i have thought about carving out a popper from a chunk of pine though. Might do that this winter during my down time.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad