Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking into a first cheap baitcast combo just to learn on. Im down to 3 choices quantum tour grade combo, daiwa d cast combo or

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bigz24bigbass
    replied
    Whuppin' Stick sucks. Don't waste your time and money.

Leave a comment:

• ethan_3
    replied
    don't go to to cheap or you'll get nothing but backlashes a good cheap reel I've used is the black max by Abu Garcia, sportsman guide did have the black max combo for 40$ which is really cheap cux they sell the reel alone at Walmart for 50

Leave a comment:

• Josh Giannino
    replied
    for a rod look at the bionic blades, from what santa said,they are a light action rod, and i teach people to cast spinning rods with it, so I imagine a baitcaster would have same luck ( mind you Im in the same boat you are and just starting to learn.)

Leave a comment:

• santa
    replied
    I have taught baitcasting for a good number of years and started out a lot of new student baitcasters with a simple Pinnacle LP100 reel with very good results. I personally now like the levelwind system on the Invader reel by US reel as a good starter. But at the ICAST show in Orlando, Lynn Reeves showed his newest LEW'S BB1 baitcast reel which I also like a whole lot. As to any one reel being easier to cast than others, about all of the standard manufacture's reels require the same attention and skill level to master. Yet US Reel offers a sorta expensive Pro series reel that turns the spool backwards which does seem to be a lot easier to cast for of the some people that try it. As to a rod, do not try to start out with a real stiff rod or heavy action rod. An Ugly stick is a pretty good choice that will stick with you for a long time without breaking the bank. In any case, casting a baitcaster takes a lot of practice, practice, and more practice but when mastered is very rewarding. I will always be glad to try to walk you through the learning steps, just ask.

Leave a comment:

• country road
    replied
    Don't go too cheap on the reel or you could have trouble learning on it. Some of those cheap reels have a tendency to backlash. I'm not familiar with the ones you named, but I had good luck with the Garcia Black Max which doesn't cost too much---and maybe a 6' Ugly Stik to go with it.

On the other hand, both Daiwa and Cabela's stand behind their products and you should be able to get satisfaction if they don't work out.

Leave a comment:

• mselseth
    replied
    sorry my computer was messed up and i couldnt choose the category to put the question in

Leave a comment:

• Looking into a first cheap baitcast combo just to learn on. Im down to 3 choices quantum tour grade combo, daiwa d cast combo or

Looking into a first cheap baitcast combo just to learn on. Im down to 3 choices quantum tour grade combo, daiwa d cast combo or a cabelas whuppin stick combo. Anyone have experience with any of these?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad