Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have fallen in love with fly fishing. I really want to catch a bass with the fly rod now. I need some help with what to use,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have fallen in love with fly fishing. I really want to catch a bass with the fly rod now. I need some help with what to use,

I have fallen in love with fly fishing. I really want to catch a bass with the fly rod now. I need some help with what to use, any sugestions?

Got my first fly rod with S&H "green" stamps! LOL!
    I started out with small hooks, rubber bands, sewing thread and chicken feathers. No telling just how many silver dollar sized perch and bream I caught.One day I spied a bass of 3 pounds or so cruising the shallows in my small, private lake.At the barber shop for my weekly haircut, I asked the barber how to get them to bite.
    On the way home, I got 6 big shiners at the bait shop. I tied on a single, 2/0 gold perch hook, hooked a shiner behind the dorsal fin and flipped him into the shallows. Within 15 seconds, a "lunker" (about 4 pounds) came in under the struggling minnow and slurped him in! What a rush!

Comment

I used to fly-fish for bass in a farm pond, and I had very good luck with wet flies, esp. yellow streamers.

Comment

Bass like poppers in the mornings and evenings. Keep the popper moving steady, bass cannot resist chasing something.

Comment

Good call Buckhunter...poppers!
          Nothing like a surface explosion.
          Could also try hopper or cricket imitations.

Comment

The Helin flatfish makes a very small model lure, (F4 size, I believe), that cannot be cast very far with spinning tackle, but should work well on a flyline. I have not personally tried it, but this is in the category of lures that would be particularly suitable for fly fishing.

Comment

buckhunter is spot on, poppers morning and night. Frog imitations, cricket imitations, muddler minnows work well too

Comment

I've been doing pretty well catching smallmouth with 3 to 4 inch white/green deceivers, but agree poppers are great, and a ton of fun. Crayfish patterns work well too.

Comment

I have a fly rig especially for bass fishing. Mine is a 9 weight rod with bass tapered weight forward line. Deer hair popping bugs are my staple for catching bass. It is a blast.

Comment

my dad caught the biggest bass of his life, it was like almost 8 lbs sometin...but he caught it on a small black popper, and weve caught other bass on it too

Comment

Thanks for all the answers. I will for sure go get me some poppers.

Comment

Little floating spider bugs seem to get their attention for me.

Comment

I have the best luck on dragonfly patterns, slowly twitched or just left to sit.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to TGIF; Armageddon
                            by PigHunter
                            “It’s the End of the World as We Know it (And I Feel Fine)” by R.E.M

Today, 08:49 AM
                          • TGIF; Armageddon
                            by fitch270
                            Not sure how this week will play out, the idea just came to mind.

Nickelback

“If Today Was Your Last Day”

Today, 07:11 AM
                          • Reply to TGIF; Armageddon
                            by PigHunter
                            "Electric Funeral" by Black Sabbath

Dying world of radiation, victims of mad frustration, burning globe of obscene fire, like...
                            Today, 08:43 AM
                          • Reply to Heating Oil
                            by FirstBubba
                            Right now LPG (propane) is about $2.30/gal.
                            Normally, in the summer, propane will get down close to $1/gal.
                            I think the highest I've ever...
                            Today, 08:34 AM
                          • Heating Oil
                            by jhjimbo
                            Heating oil is up 107%. That to me looks like a disaster in the making for heating in the NorthEast this winter. I had oil furnaces in all the properties...
                            Today, 07:38 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X