Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When fishing a tournament back of the boat and paired with someone by a draw, what is a tactful way to bring up that you think t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When fishing a tournament back of the boat and paired with someone by a draw, what is a tactful way to bring up that you think t

When fishing a tournament back of the boat and paired with someone by a draw, what is a tactful way to bring up that you think they are purposely denying you any shots? I understand that the front guy will get first shot at the majority of the best spots, but what if they are clearly positioning themselves for EVERY opportunity, and putting you in positions where you have nowhere to cast to in the process? Tournament rules said the front of the boat guy could get docked weight for doing this, but I also didn't want to start a war with anyone because I'm the "new guy." I don't plan on making any fuss over what happened, but it would be good to know how to better deal with the situation if it happens again.

Competition is all about hogging. What did you expect? I wouldn't be caught dead in one of those plastic dog and pony shows. I never worry about how many fish I catch or how big they are. Or if I even catch a fish at all. I'm out there to enjoy the outdoors. But then I don't pay anyone for the priveledge of fishing either. If I wanted a new boat for fishing, I'd go buy one rather than dish out my hard earned cash to put up with that circus.

Yesterday I drove eighty miles and threw my canoe in the water only to discover I had forgot to buy minnows before leaving town. Well, there goes the fishing! Did I just quit and go home? Nope! I paddled around all day and had a wonderful time. Still caught a couple of small northerns but it didn't matter. The lake is really spectacular and the whole day I was right on the edge of a huge storm front. Got to watch quite a spectacular lightning and thunder show without being threatened or getting wet. Very unusual phenomenon. Not another soul for twenty miles. Lots of loons and beaver to watch and even caught sight of a fisher swimming across a channel (and one in the headlights on the way out plus a wolf that seemed to be nearly as big as a deer!) Wouldn't have enjoyed any of that if I'd quit ... or if there'd been a bass tournament going on! I think you're looking for the wrong prizes.

Comment

Amen to all of the above. The hell with tournaments.

Comment

No reason to be so condescending. I also just fish for fun, but sometimes I happen to enjoy fishing tournaments. If you don't that's fine, but why take the time to type all that out just to try to dump on me when you have no advice pertaining to my question?

Comment

You're right. Just read the first two sentences and the last one. That summarizes it pretty well.

I had some very bad experiences with the annual salmon derby in Port Angeles. I never entered the damn thing but had to find my way through all the loonies fishing off the hook so I could get out six miles away from everybody. There were people shooting at each other! No kidding! Ramming each other, cutting off fish on the line with downriggers, ... all sorts of "sportsmanship." And cheating! That was the real name of the game out there! Those tournaments bring out the worst kind of people. So expect to get teamed up with one and put up with it. Or do like I do and just stay away from that stuff. Don't come on here and ask what to do about it. I think you knew the answer before you asked the question. IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE CROWD, DON'T HANG WITH THEM.

Comment

I'm not fishing large tournaments or trying to become a pro angler. These are a couple dozen guys at most fishing for fun from local fishing clubs for a $30-50 entry fee, so I don't see how your story relates in any way. It's more like a bunch of guys getting together for poker than a serious event. Everyone fishes paired up to save on cost. I didn't say I don't like the crowd, and I won't be paired with the same person next time anyways. I really didn't ask for advice on the tournament fishing world. I asked a much more specific question about a certain situation.

Comment

Sorry, I have never seen a tournament that didn't have a cast of thousands. Literally. Sounds more like you're in a local poker club type affair. Still, if your so concerned about having to enforce the rules and possible backlash, perhaps it's just not worth it? If it was me, I'd nicely suggest to the guy that he knock it off and follow the rules. If that doesn't work, I presume you're at the tiller. Take that boat in to the dock and get off and find another partner. Or bag it and find another tournament. You're going to be screwed out of your entry fee in any event. I doubt this is the first time the guy has pulled this stunt. If he's still allowed to compete with the club, then perhaps it's just not a great outfit to be associated with.

Comment

I fish quite a few local tournaments and mostly enjoy them. I don't think I would say anything about it. I just don't think there is a tactful way to do it and it could get you labeled as a whiner. The other option is to take your boat.

Comment

This is not a problem I have. I am not good enough for a tournament and thats OK. by me.

But to answer your question and if you think about it, everyone must know this guy is a jerk and thats why they stuck the new guy with him. When another new guy joins poker night, you can pass off the A$$whole on them. Of they could have gotten rid of this clown they probably would have by now.

Comment

Thanks DSM. So far have kept quiet and think I'll just keep it that way. The guy seemed nice enough besides denying me shots at any fish anyways. Would be happy to take my boat if I owned one. Not something I can afford at the moment.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Lesson learned the hard way.
                      by FirstBubba
                      We use a group in Wichita Falls, TX called "Action Battery".
                      About as cheap a battery as you can get anywhere....and they last!
                      Today, 11:41 AM
                    • Lesson learned the hard way.
                      by Milldawg
                      So yesterday I went out to start my truck before work to let it warm up. Being a diesel I prefer it warm up before we get running hard on the interstate....
                      Today, 10:37 AM
                    • Reply to Fbi..........
                      by bowhunter75richard
                      You bring up many very valid points dawg, and the most important in my opinion is the indoctrination of our young minds in the ever expanding education...
                      Today, 11:17 AM
                    • Fbi..........
                      by bowhunter75richard
                      ......there have been some 30 present and former FBI agents who have come forth in support of whistleblowers who have divulged critical information concerning...
                      09-29-2022, 08:45 AM
                    • Reply to Lesson learned the hard way.
                      by jhjimbo
                      Batteries in constant use should last 5 to 6 years if charging system is good.

i have some vehicles that I don't drive often and keep a...
                      Today, 11:15 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X