Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

it has rian a lot in nc this week and the fish in my pond will not bite. can anyone tell me why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• it has rian a lot in nc this week and the fish in my pond will not bite. can anyone tell me why

it has rian a lot in nc this week and the fish in my pond will not bite. can anyone tell me why

all the fish are out shopping for umbrellas so that next time it rains they won't get as wet!

Comment

Could be chandes in water temperature from the rain. Try slowing down your presentation.

Comment

Water temp. changes are likely one factor. You may also be seeing significant differences in water clarity, levels, and possibly even nutrient content or other chemical changes depending on the surroundings. Give it a few days to a week and they will go back to their normal habits for this time of year.

If you want to get out now, change your presentation. Either pick a different lure, search different areas on the pond, vary your retrieve as mentioned above, or try a different time of day.

Comment

the water could be cooler and the air pressure could also have an effect on them

Comment

It's not just your fish, most fish tend to hunker down and not bite as much during stormier weather. As others have stated, when you get a lot of rain balances in the water can be thrown off, like how a pool needs more chlorine added to it after a lot of rain. Storms usually bring a change in barometric pressure when they come through and while we might not notice it, fish and other wildlife can. I tried to fish in the upper Delaware river right before hurricane Irene and I could pay a fish to bite and I threw everything I had at them. My advice would be to wait a could days and change up your presentation to something bright. The rain might have kicked up the sediment and a brighter presentation will catch an eye and hopefully a strike.

Comment

Raising water level. Not temp. ive had this told to me by multiple conservation officers.

Comment

I don't know "why" exactly, but the fishing always slows down after a rain, so it's nothing to worry about. Hang in there for the time being, and try mixing up your lures and presentation. Also, if you've got more rain to come, try going out while the rain's falling. I've had great luck during light to moderate rain.

Comment

wait until after it rains and the temperture warms up a little.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad