Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just bought a 14' aluminum jon boat and am wanting to paint it. My question is can I just paint it with spray paint. It looks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just bought a 14' aluminum jon boat and am wanting to paint it. My question is can I just paint it with spray paint. It looks

I just bought a 14' aluminum jon boat and am wanting to paint it. My question is can I just paint it with spray paint. It looks easy and cheap but will it work.

It would work but it may not last as long a professional paint. just make sure sand it and prep properly.

Comment

Yeah you could paint it with spray paint, and i have painted mine that way but it did not last through the season and I ended up getting it professionally done.

Comment

JMO~ you need to prep the boat with aluminum Primer and then paint, to be sour go on line look at West Marian Boat Supplies and Paint, they do make a spray paint for your J-Boat$$$$

Comment

You will need to apply a coat of self-etching primer for the paint to stick on aluminum. It is sold in aerosol cans, so you can probably find it in any hardware store.

Comment

On the self etching primer I see it comes in colors. When i paint over that will it change the color of my paint. Also there's a green color which is what I'm looking for so could I just leave the primer bare and not paint over it?

Comment

Rattle can paint jobs are not known for durability, but will work for a while. The big problem with a rattle can job is that if you ever do decide to paint the boat right, the old paint from the rattle cans must be completely removed first. Thus, you my just end up making a lot of work for yourself or some else later on.

Comment

you *may* just

Comment

I've never tried it, but you could take the lazy man's approach and leave the primer as your finish coat. It probably would not be as durable as the real thing, but it would be very easy to touch up any scuffs and scrapes, and keep the boat looking new as long as you have that rattle can handy.

Comment

Here's my method and my 1980 model 17' Alumacraft still looks good.
                    Wash surface to be painted well wirh soapy water to remove mud and crud. Rinse and allow to dry completely. I used Rust-O-Leum. Wipe cleaned surface with vinegar and paint.
                    Vinegar is a mild acid and etches the metal slightly.
                    High dollar paint and primers aren't necessary.
                    Honestly? I wouldn't use my method unless I just wanted to camo up your boat. If you're looking for a really nice paint job, go professional.

Comment

I spray painted mine black and red. We didn't even sand it and it worked fine. and I live less than a mile from the lake and go almost every day. But we did 2 layers of black then but the red on top. Very few spot next to the rivets are worn.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad