Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What line should i get for my medium light pole. I will be using it for bass and crappie. What weight, color, kind, brand, pri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What line should i get for my medium light pole. I will be using it for bass and crappie. What weight, color, kind, brand, pri

What line should i get for my medium light pole. I will be using it for bass and crappie. What weight, color, kind, brand, price etc. do you think is best. i was thinking 6 pound but feel free to throw out wahtever you think would be best.

I am an ultra-light tackle fan, but I would not go any lower than 6-pound test for largemouth bass.

Comment

I agree with 99,
      6lb. with proper drag on your reel is good. Line is tougher than you think, many fishermen just don't know how to use the drag on a good reel.

Comment

it depends on what kind of cover you are fishing in. if there are a lot of weeds, stumps, sticks, ect. i would go into the 8-10 lb range but if it is mostly open water then 6 should be fine.

Comment

It is relatively clear water, however i do fish submerged trees so i figure 6 should be good enough. Occasionally i fish weeds but for the most part it would be clear. any favorite brands or types?

Comment

Most reels will state on the side the ideal range of line weight to use.

Comment

I do well with 12 lb stealth braid-caught 5 different species in different conditions. Cheers.

Comment

I would go with 6lbs test Fluorocarbon. It is much stronger than mono. I personally use braid, but I always add a fluoro leader to it.

Comment

Your question is tough because line choice would often be very different for crappie fishing than it would for bass fishing, and the situation and your fishing style all come into play. I predominantly bass fish water with thick weeds, and 6lb line wouldn't be too practical and would result in a lot of lost fish due to the situation. I generally use 10-15lb braid and fluoro because it can handle the thick stuff I'm usually fishing, but in more open water you would be fine with 6lb if the drag is set correctly, and for crappie 6lb would be my first choice, or even 4lb. My suggestion would be to get an ultralight set up for the crappie, and rig your medium-light for bass with a little bit heavier line. For brand I like Berkley, but this is also just personal preference through trial and error. You'll find the ones you like better than others over time.

Comment

I like 8 pound mono Berkley Triline. Never had a problem with it.

Comment

Sorry for the misspelling... Trilene

Comment

I like 6 pound Trilene XL for this light action. I have gone lighter but have also cussed a bit now and then when a nice bass got hung up in trash and I didn't have strong enough line to dislodge it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad