Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is an alabama rig really as amazing as advertised

is an alabama rig really as amazing as advertised

The theory is very good. The actual practice and results are in the hands of the fisherman. Some people just have "THE TOUCH" for fishing period. Others do not have the touch at all. Most of us, like me for example, fit somewhere in between. The Alabama rig in the right hands will give the apperance of a whole school of bait fish as a target for bass and has even been ruled to give an unfair advantage in some tournaments. This advantage is only if you can handle the casting of the rig and keeping it untangled while making its presentation to the bass seem real enough to actually work. I have been making and using speck rigs for close to fifty years using feather dusters. They work on the same principle as the Alabama rig. The reason I have continued to make them and use them is because they have worked well for me. All commercial lures and set-ups have had to work well for someone or they would not have made it to the market, but they many not work well for all who try them. So until you try one in your own hands, you will never know if it will be worth all the hype and give you the results that it claims.

Comment

I've used it a bunch of times for the first time this season...didn't catch anything. Bad year all around though

Comment

It's good for taking over your go to rod with 65lb braid, essentially making it "Yumbrella" only rig. On second thought I might be able to use the line to tow someone out of a ditch, or lengthen a trot line. I need more testing in deeper water to see, but basically it hasn't replaced the pumpkinseed salamander, the shad rap, or for night fishing the black/blue creature bait. Cheers.

Comment

I personally find them to be more of a hassle than they are worth, but some of the other guys I fish with like them. All a matter of personal preference I guess. Last time I was side by side with someone fishing one I outfished them in both size and numbers all day long with a 1/2 Oz blue/black jig and Netbait paca craw trailers, but on other days the Alabama rig has won the day. I mostly leave them alone because I'm comfortable with and confident in other baits and feel I can cast them much more accurately and also get hung up less than an Alabama rig.

Comment

i use the fatal attraction 45. its awesome.you have to use a bait casting reel with 65 lb test braid but when you are hokking into six or seven pounders consistently, it is well worth the trouble and the cost of the rig.

Comment

I troll them for stripers rather than using umbrella rigs most of the time. They are much easier to get out, pack away and pull. They are a good addition to a striper troller's arsenal. However, like all lures, there is a time and place for them and there is a time and place for other lures.

This type of rig is not my favorite for any fish under 20 pounds because it dampens the feel of the fish's fight.

Comment

I've seen it used more for striper fishing but saw it be sucessful for a bit when it first was introduced for largemouth. It seems as if the guys using it on the FLW pro tour are hit an miss, it works somedays, others not so much

Comment

It depends on how and where you fish it.

Comment

Works just as well as every other lure, some days youll get nothing, and other days thats all they hit. There is no magic lure... yet.

Comment

.didn't catch anything. Bad year all around though Nox Vidmate VLC
                      Last edited by EVAKATY75; 11-05-2020, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad