Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After alot of people helped me out, i finally decided to go ahead a buy a Rapala Husky Jerk in HJ-14. Now thats a 5 1/2 inch lur

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After alot of people helped me out, i finally decided to go ahead a buy a Rapala Husky Jerk in HJ-14. Now thats a 5 1/2 inch lur

After alot of people helped me out, i finally decided to go ahead a buy a Rapala Husky Jerk in HJ-14. Now thats a 5 1/2 inch lure thats good for pike but is that too big for largemouth bass?

Good choice! My best luck has been with gold/black or they have one that is a greenish silver with some orange on the belly.
    You will want some sticky lead to tune them. They almost never suspend perfectly out of the box. A little pinch on the ring that holds the middle treble works well.
    Here are some modifications you can try if you have time and feel like it.
    Take off the middle treble and back treble hooks. Using a split ring put a red 2/0 Gamakatsu Octupus hook on the back ring. Use the empty middle ring for a place to put your sticky lead. Sometimes I even switch out the front treble but you are going to a place that has guides and nets. I started doing this when I fished out of a pontoon raft and didn't want a bunch of trebles lashing around while landing northerns and bass. Now that I have a boat and net I often leave the front treble on.
    I didn't notice any decrease in hookups just better lure action, fewer weeds and less tangled nets etc. when landing northerns.
    You will catch a lot of bass on the lure too. Be sure to retune with the sticky lead as you will probably not be using a wire leader for bass. The perfect suspension is key to more fish! Have fun and let us know how it went.

Comment

Too big for bass? Heck no. Little 2 pounders will bite that thing, and that is about as good as a lure gets for huge ones.

Comment

probably not even if they're more avid to bite some smaller baits than this they'll probably attack a bait this size two with just as much ferocity.

Comment

a Largemouth will eat bait half it's body length,I've caught many with fish that size in their bellies!

Comment

They don't call them "Large Mouth" bass for nothing.
            Good luck and Good Fishing.

Comment

That's a great lure for largemouth,

I have used a 7" saltwater version of the SkitterPop and bass that are smaller than the lure have no problems hitting it.

Comment

You stew way too much.

Comment

Great choice and good luck fishing!

Comment

Good Luck!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad