Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whate the best depth to fish in the middle of the day

whate the best depth to fish in the middle of the day

I usually go around 1 1/2 foot to 2 feet. That has been where I have had my best luck. But it also varies on the temperature and the current weather conditions.

Comment

If it's hot and sunny, go deep. Find deep cover.

Comment

It really depends on the species and time of year. If you're talking about Stripers or trout in the middle of the summer, then fish just above the thermocline, if the body of water has one. For catfish, try fishing right on the bottom in deep holes; they will come into the shallow at night. For bass try deepor shaded cover; typically you wont find good fish in the hot water in the middle of the day. For panfish try about the same locations as bass. Just keep in mind that the fish will come up at night if the middle of the day is too hot, and go deeper and cooler in the middle of the day.

Comment

fish, especially bass, head to cooler bottom/middle water in the afternoon. Fish under docks or other structure. Call the local tackle shop and ask what the thermocline is for that body of water. Fish there also, with a spinnerbait or crankbait.

Comment

Shane and pascal are right. when the surface temp reaches about 88 degrees the fish go pretty deep. The lake I fish in the bass go down to between 60 and 80 feet deep.

Comment

I start on the bottom with a soft plastic lure such as a texas rigged worm and gradually work my way up the water column.

Rule of thumb is to go deeper when it gets hot and sunny, but I experiment with several lures until I find the right depth.

Comment

Agreed with pascal and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Another New Upper
                  by jhjimbo
                  I have heard certain powder kernel shapes are more abrasive than others on the rifling. Maybe that kind should be used to keep the carbon from forming....
                  Today, 02:24 PM
                • Another New Upper
                  by DakotaMan
                  Milldawg inspired me so I finished my new 6mm AR upper as a Covid time killer project. I had made a 6mm Creedmoor with an 8 twist Bartlein barrel for...
                  Today, 12:54 PM
                • Reply to 16 Years
                  by Ontario Honker Hunter
                  Pighunter: Someone on here some years back made a big deal about being Jewish and not caring for Christian morality shoved in his face. I couldn't remember...
                  Today, 02:22 PM
                • 16 Years
                  by jhjimbo
                  So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                  Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                • Reply to Another New Upper
                  by DakotaMan
                  I haven't tried the 6.5 Grendel PH. It is a pretty powerful close range cartridge for its size but it isn't fast enough with those heavier bullets to...
                  Today, 02:20 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X